Snorkel Performance

TeddESP

I have a 93 YJ and I've been reading up on how to get a little more power. I have a new flowmaster exhaust and I saw that air intakes help out. I was wondering how a snorkel did performance wise compared to the stock one. Would it be worth upgrading for other reasons other than the obvious? (That I can go through deeper water.) =]

http://www.freecarkits.com/jeepsnokel.htm
This has a pretty good explanation of not only how to make one yourself if, in fact, you decide to go through with it, but also towards the end of the page he has some downsides to having the snorkel as well as the long term effects of driving through deep water. Hope it helps. I wanted to do a snorkel kit too, but after reading this, I think I've changed my mind.

Well, don't try any deep water fording without a snorkel for your tailpipe. Had these on our M151's when I was in the service;

image-missing.png

The puzzling thing is the tops of these snorkels were about 12 inches over the driver's head.
The procedure for getting off LST's?
1. Push the foot throttle down about 1/3 to 1/2
2. Pull out the hand throttle matching main throttle cable extention
3. Stand on the door rail while holding your head above water, steering with your right hand.
...trouble was, more often than not, my Jeep found a hole in the beach approach ~glub Semper Fi glub~

Snorkels tend to do more for the owner than they do for the Jeep. Most people I see with snorkels never see off road let alone water. I put it in the category of " they look cool but are rarely ever used." I go wheelin with my everyday driver with trailered rigs of all configurations. 4 bangers, 6cyls and big 8 cyls. And we do mostly trails in the woods, creek crossings, sand and rocks. Unless your Yj has big tires and stock gearing with a 4 cyl and you play in deep mud........ Get it? There is a guy in our club that wheels a 4 banger TJ on 35" tires that goes every where we go! He found his power in 4:88 gears. His engine is stock. Mudbog jeeps need more power than trail Jeeps as a rule. I'm old school as far as spending money where it will do you the most good. If a snorkel is what you want that's ok but as for performance you can just do a K&N or an Airaid and keep it under the hood where it will not get torn off your rig! I hope this helps.
OllllO Rubicrawler

It's a 93 and I have 35's. I know regearing helps but I'm trying to save money. :p For the stuff I drive I really wouldn't be too worried of it being damaged. I have been on the verge of drowning my jeep though. I was sitting in water up to my knees inside the rig. I broke 29 cores in the radiator because a tree (that was on the bottom of the "small" hole) hit it and dented it through. I was about to start sucking in water via my air intake but luckily I stayed like an inch away from that. Got a tug out after the gmc chose the wrong part of the bumper to attach to and pulled it off. Random day, but in the end I drove it out of the trail onto the road and then drove up the AAA flatbed. :p Lol I just think it would provide a little extra security when and if I need to go for a swim.

Yea I did... Pretty long but interesting read.. I don't think I have enough faith in myself to make one on my own though. :p

if you in water deep enough to get into your motor... you have other issues to deal with.

on the highway, you won't tell the difference between the snorkle and the stock air box, on the trail, the motor will tend to choke down due to the distance the air has to travel, since you are not moving at a good speed, the motor has to work harder to suck the air in, if you are not deeply geared and are trying to drive off idle, your motor will choke down and stall. Since I wheel at an altitiude way above sea level, it is probably worse for me that say someone at sea level.

My personaly opinion, I would never install a snorkle on anything ever. I also never plan on driving through water that is high enough to get into the motor.

i feel the same way. no snorkel for me but just because i think they are ugly and if you are in that type of water with your jeep, then you already are messed up because you should know how deep it is

It really depends on what type of wheeling you do. Here in Costa Rica, we do A LOT of river fording. Keep in mind trails here are really roads to get you somewhere, and if you need to cross a river, you cross it. Often times, on the way back, the river is deeper than what it was on the whay in, and you are left with two choices: drive through or wait.

Oh, and what was mentioned about the 4-banger wheeling with the big boys is correct; mine is a 4 banger YJ on 33's, and I wheel with V8's on 38's and 42's, and have yet to be unable to go where they go. I just need to be more careful with my lines, and use the winch a bit more often, but I do get through, which is what matters.

Here are some vids of our water crossings

Sorry about this one being 15' , but it is a good one to show the river becoming deeper; about halfway are some still pics of the basecamp, and after that, you will see the river eating up 32" tires on the red Korando and the Gray Toyota Fortuner.

In these vids on the swamp, you will notice a stuck Jeep; he was running 38's TSL's with a I6. It took 3 winches to pull him out...

I dont have a pic of my rig on this obstacle, but I did get through it with few problems (it took a couple of tries, but I made it)...

An another river...

Now, I know THESE rivers did not require a snorkel, but what if the river had grown a bit more? Rather safe than sorry, in my opinion...

Now, like stated above, a snorkel WILL NOT turn the Jeep into a submarine. You can still get water in the ignition (which will stall the engine), and any number of sensors can fail (not excluding the ECU). However, if the engine does stall, all you need to do is dry it up, replace the sensor that died on you, and drive on (I have all the sensors and a spare ECU in the Jeep for this purpose). The snorkel will save you from hydrolocking (and, in all practical sense, KILLING the engine), so it's kid of an insurance. As for performance, you could probably see some ram air effects with the snorkel, but the problem is that you probably need to be around 100mph to notice said effect (in other words, DONT expect any performance gains). I kind of think of it as an insurancy policy; I HOPE I dont need it, but when you do something stupid, you are happy you have it... Oh, and for the trail, I typically turn the head of the snorkel so that it faces back, to avoid having it caught on branches and such (you can see that in the swamp vids).

As for the engine having issues sucking in the air, I have yet to experience any of this, but then again, i wheel mostly close to sea level (not more than 3,000 feet elevation).

Good stuff! Yes they are great when you need them! I live in the mid western USA region that has no trails going thru rivers so you can see my point. In my region they are mostly for looks. The forests that I drive thru are so thick and tight you have to tuck in your mirrors and use trees to hook your rear tires on in many places just to get thru the turns.Lights above your windshield are just junk waiting to happen! Very technical and always fun! thanks for sharing your video! Keep an eye out for sharks in those rivers!

Thanks for all the opinions! This was definitely the kind of info I was looking fir. And as for that situation I was in.. We checked it thoroughly before going through so it must have been thick mud. Gave me a sick new paint job for a week so all was well. =]

Jfrabat... Your cheating... Tire Chains

JK I use them for snow wheeling every now and then, but I am sure you don't have snow wheeling in costa rica.

Jfrabat... Your cheating... Tire Chains

JK I use them for snow wheeling every now and then, but I am sure you don't have snow wheeling in costa rica.

Defenetly not so much snow around here... But sometimes the goop gets SO thick, not even MT tires work anymore. Hence the chains...

DSC01427-1.jpg

Actually, if you notice the stuck Jeep, he's running 38" Super Swampers Boggers WITH chains (and even with the I6, he STILL got stuck, and it took 3 hours with winches with pulleys to pull him out).

DSC01381-1.jpg

DSC01428-1.jpg

Back