Factory Warranty

if the guys at your dealer are pretty cool, then probably not... but if they're strict with following the "book", then probably.

most likely if they turn you down it'll be because you're modifying the angles in the drivetrain, adding extra wear-and-tear or something like that.

you could always just take the spacers out when you bring it in for warrenty service.[addsig]

Yes and no. Yes if the part failure can be directly attributed to the modification. No if the modification has nothing to do with the warranty repair you are seeking.

If the coil spring spacers were to cause the shock mount to break (longer shocks were not installed), the mount would not be covered under warranty.

If the catalytic converter goes bad, it would be covered under warranty because the failure can not be attributed to the modification.

It's all defined in the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.
The law is the Magnusson-Moss Warranty- Federal Trade commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states that the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicles warranty, or, that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to be sure is to look in your owner’s manual under, "what is not covered".

The attitude of the service manager that approves the warranty work has a lot to do with what's covered and what's not. It always helps to talk to the service manager about a planned modification on a warrantied vehicle and get thier input.[addsig]

I have been wondering about mods wrecking my warranty. Do you guys think adding a winch and 31" X 10.50" Tires could wreck my warranty....should I ask the stealer that I deal with about the mods (I thought my wife was the only one I had to get permission from!).

[addsig]

Shouldn't void the warranty. Good idea to check with the service manager, but those two mods won't effect much.[addsig]

Back