Jeep Shopping

TeddESP

So i decided to spend a little bit of money on my jeep, nothing huge but i wanted to know peoples opinions on things. The first thing i got is a center console, mines been around a while and needed replacing. I went with the Rugged Ridge Ultimate II locking center console. I read a review that said you cant fold the back seat up with this installed? Seems to me if its guaranteed to fit your vehicle it wouldn't sacrifice other functions. :p The second thing i got was a Rampage air scoop. I just got it to change things up a little bit but was wondering if it provided any benefits/disadvantages. I also read something on it that said you cant use your windshield washing fluid (after confirming order) with this installed. Any info on either of these would be greatly appreciated. Nothing serious but it would be nice to hear from someone who knows about these. =]

whats a rampage sir scoop? is that the scoop on the vent inlet beneath the windshield? mine work fine with a scoop on

superj said:
whats a rampage sir scoop? is that the scoop on the vent inlet beneath the windshield? mine work fine with a scoop on

Yea it's a kind if air scoop and it mounts right on the vent. What year you got?

87. should be the same on yours. my wife had a 93 and if i remember, hers worked also.

did you point yours towards the road or towards the window? mine are towards the window because i read people get better air flow that way since hte windshield creates so much of a wall

Just ordered yesterday, that would have been another one of my questions. I live in Maine and we get good amounts of snow.. Would it be bad facing forward in the snow? Also any pro's/cons on the best way to mount it would be great.

I have seen it installed in both directions. The reason most people install it towards the windshield is, they have a custom CAI kit installed to pull air from the cowl vent and don't want the debris or water getting into the intake port and the washer nozzle placement. I would think that, in order for the scoop to be most efficient at getting more airflow into the cab, you would face it forward. The air will pool in front of the windshield yes, but you will get more velocity from the air coming over the hood directly into the scoop.

Snow is really not a concern due to the fact that if you didn't have it there, snow would build up and cover the vent anyhow. Until you brush it off anyway.

i thought about the ram air effect on the hood being forward facing but since i have a weber carb with a tiny tiny filter on it, that ram air is only going to go to the brake booster then

The reason you point it back is that, in that particular area of the hood, air is moving FORWARD. This is because of the CRAPPY aerodynamics Jeeps have. I remember seeing a post somewhere from a guy who put 3" pieces of larn in a grid on his hood and filmed it to determine the low pressure spots, and I remeber this effect...

Back