URGENT Control arm question

Jesse

So I'm doing an SYE on my Jeep, and i have everything but the control arms, I had ordered upper adjustable controls from Rough Country, but that's a story for another time. I had to cancel my order from them because they are back ordered now and I have to have do the SYE this up coming week. So what rear upper adjustable control arms would you recommend?

little confused.. what is the relation between the SYE and the upper control arms?

if your looking for adjustable UCA I would say teraflex. I would have recomended rubicon express, but can't do that unless you can find some old inventory somewhere

Extreme Gear Off Road :: Suspension Products :: Control Arms, TeraFlex

do you have after market non-adjustable? I would just cut those and buy a pair of heims from ruff stuff and make your own. probably cost around $60 when all said and done.

Installing a SYE and CV driveshaft requires pointing the pinion up at the transfer case output, which requires longer UCA's.
^That, and I have everything else, except the longer UCA. I still have the stock UCA in the front and rear. I found Rear Upper Adjustable Control Arms for 97-06 TJ Wrangler by Rough Country but I'm not sure if, 1) they'd have them in stock and 2) I've never heard of that website before so can it be trusted?

Edit: Also just found http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Roug...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a61239040

I guess it then comes down to, should I go with RC or teraflex...

Last edited:
Over fill the diff slightly. The pinion bearing often gets starved for oil when it's shoved way up like that. Sorry off topic.

Over fill the diff slightly. The pinion bearing often gets starved for oil when it's shoved way up like that. Sorry off topic.

I do add a bit extra, but do you have a certain amount extra you add or just whatever you feel like kinda?

I usually add about 10-15 oz depending on tge diff. I usually have to add through the vent hose though it leaks to much out the plug. I took to diffs out before I figured out why.

since when do you need to install adjustable uppers to put in a SYE? first, you never want the pinion pointed directly at the t-case output, it will not facilitate the u-joints needle bearings to move and lubricate the trunion, you want a couple degrees of deflection, plus as mentioned, you will starve the oil slinger in teh diff of oil and cause a failure. Also, you can install a SYE with out adjustable uppers and add the uppers down the road. furthermore when you install a SYE, you are increasing the length of the Drive shaft, which in turn changes the angle of the shaft at the pinion u-joint which will provide a more ideal angle than what currently exhists, so if you've been driving around with a slip yoke and a XX lift, adding a SYE and longer driveshaft alone would start to remedy the issues of vibrations. I dunno, this is the first time I have heard that one needs to be done because of the other, but I also have not heard a lot of things.

Jesse, I personally have not ordered from them, but I know people who have and have not had any huge issue.

Now I'm confused. I've always heard that if you do a SYE then adjustable UCA are a must in the back. I see what you are saying, and I agree with it and I'm not doubting you, I'm just thoroughly confused now.

I just got an email from Extreme Gear Offroad, and now they are back ordered as well and won't ship till the 20th. I just can't catch a break!

Yes you need adjustable upper control arms when installing a SYE, I've installed a bunch. You won't starve the pinion of oil and you won't ruin ujoints if the pinion is pointed directly at the transfer case output. There is enough bushing deflection during acceleration and deceleration to keep the needle bearings moving.

Back