4wd issue?

TeddESP

The other day on the way to work the roads had a mixture of snow and slush on them. After going in 2 wheel a ways I decided to put it in 4 hi. Everything was fine until I left work and disengaged 4x4. Normally I drive forward and backward a few times because I heard it helps make sure it's engaged. (still kinda new at this so I may be mistaken) This time I only moved a foot or two in both directions. It began to drive erratically to say the least, it kinda felt like my lugs were really loose and my tires were wobbling around everywhere. After stopping and putting it back in 4 and then 2 again and making sure it was in, it was fine. Could this be a problem? It's never done this before and other than this I haven't had any problems. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the front axle failed to disengage. Were your front wheels turned or otherwise in a bind (under engine or turning load) when you tried to disengage? With the temp being low, things might have been sluggish to disengage, and the torque binding would compound the problem.

Jeepergeo said:
Sounds like the front axle failed to disengage. Were your front wheels turned or otherwise in a bind (under engine or turning load) when you tried to disengage?

Yea my front wheels were turned, I was driving out of a parking spot so I guess it was under engine and turning load. But that was only after I went forward and backed up straight to disengage. I've never had this problem so I think I just didn't go back and forth enough to disengage it.

Don't these things tell how to go in and out of 4x4 on the back of the visors? If not, oh well, thinking of something else then

Yea they do but mine has deteriorated. :p I know how to put it in 4WD... that's not the issue I was having. I was wondering if what it did was a sign something was bad.

Have you checked the fluid in the transfercase? it can cause some funky problems and as far as 4 hi from 2 hi and vice versa the backing up and all that shouldnt be required unless its in a bind but not normally especially normal driving conditions. I always switch to 4 low at a stop but 4 hi you shouldnt have to it is possible it got in a bind or if you have automatic locking hubs they could have malfunctioned as well

I haven't checked the fluid in the transfer case and I dont even know how. :p I checked the blinker fluid and that's all set though. =]

On the back their should be two square plugs that look the same the higher one is how you check it take it out and stick your pinky in and if you feel fluid its good if you dont then add until it starts running out then put the plug back in Im glad you got your blinker fluid checked lol

Thanks! Now the next day im feeling ambitious I have a simple project to do that'll make me feel like i know something. =]

Back