Engines fuel mileage

TheGhost45

Ok guys, nothing wrong with my engine but it is used it makes a minor ticking noise in the valves I believe, I have no idea how well it's been maintained and at the price of gas I want something that will be more fuel effiecent now I know with diesel you can't get better fuel mileage unless you run a hybrid, I would love a diesel but I want a TDI 1.9 or the 2.8 out of the liberty unless you guys know of other turbo cars that have good fuel mileage, my jeep is getting up on the miles so I'm looking for something anything that will be decently reliable, fuel effiecent and have either more torque or horsepower them current engine. And if there's a turbo even better (doesn't apply to fuel mileage it there's a turbo) what are your suggestions?!

What are you asking? How to make your jeep effecient or what is the best engine swap for better economy? Or something else?

I know it's pretty much impossible to make the 4.0 fuel efficient but I've been hearing alot about the Volkswagen TDI 1.9 and there's a company that does a swap for it, seems like a good idea but I can't find a motor in my area I'm trying to get good prices on everything curious about what you guys think of that swap.

TheGhost45 said:
I know it's pretty much impossible to make the 4.0 fuel efficient but I've been hearing alot about the Volkswagen TDI 1.9 and there's a company that does a swap for it, seems like a good idea but I can't find a motor in my area I'm trying to get good prices on everything curious about what you guys think of that swap.

Is it a diesel? My current goal is to have a diesel jeep sometime in my life. Lol for the sole fact I think they're cool. As for your predicament of trying to get more fuel economy, yea you could probably be more fuel efficient but the prices of diesel are higher than gas. (where I am) I hear diesel engines produce more torque but I'm still a noob so correct me if I'm wrong. I think it would be a pretty cool swap but a jeep is a jeep and they're not known for fuel efficiency. Just my 2 cents.

there is a guy on craigslist here selling all the different vw diesel engines

Yeah it's a diesel, with a simple and cheap reflect of the ecu you get that little diesel producing 285 ft lbs torque and 165 HP mind you the 4.0L has more horse and the price of diesel is more but you'll run longer on a tank of fuel then you will with gas, so it does make a difference diesels are very torquey and I dont really want to pay shipping costs that could get expensive! And I tried looking for a cummins 4bt but they arent easy to find either it seems :S not in Ontario Canada anyways. Oh and not to get off topic but I just picked up my set of Dick Cepek Crushers my god are they nice!!!! Thought they looked good on the computer, should see them in person!

Back