Driveshaft slip yoke boot

Jason4x4

I was greasing my TJ this morning and discovered that the slip yoke boot on my front driveshaft has been ripped in half. This brings up two questions:

1) How do you replace it?

2) Is it necessary to replace it?

It looks like the only way to replace it would be to remove the driveshaft so that a new one can be slid in place. Is that correct?

I'm a fan of having grease stay where it should be... so ima say yes replace it .. it will extend the life of your joint ..

Mark both halves of the driveshaft with a straight line, remove the driveshaft and pull it apart in the middle. Install a new boot and put the shaft back together, ensuring the lines match up.

Mark both halves of the driveshaft with a straight line, remove the driveshaft and pull it apart in the middle. Install a new boot and put the shaft back together, ensuring the lines match up.

That, and if you don't line it up right, prepare for some nasty vibrations.

Do they carry the boots at AutoZone or the like? I'm having trouble finding it on their website. I'd rather not have to get it from the stealership.

Also, where do you grease it at? I found grease fittings on my Quigley rear driveshaft for both the u-joint and the slip yoke, but couldn't find anything on the front shaft.

It's probably a sealed shaft. They put a certain amount of grease in when they put the shaft together then put the rubber boot on there to keep the grease in, and dirt out.

Back