1988 Wrangler stalling--FRUSTRATED!!!!

When your Jeep stalled, would your tach drop right to zero? Hoping it will be something a little less $$$$$!!! :(
yes and when my jeep stalled it was like some one reached over turned off the key, I could be doing 55 thru town and just shut down, First thing i changed was the ing switch under dash (not it) and i shook every wire under hood and dash (not it) so that left me with ICM or coil since i was running with the nutter could not be comp (ecm) The ICM and coil would have cost me about 130 so at the time i said screw it and bought the HEI dist, since i was running a weber.with HEI you no longer need ICM,COIL,ECM nothing but one wire hook up, Also put my icm in friends jeep and it shut down to so thats how i found out it was that. Autozone icm is 65.00

yes and when my jeep stalled it was like some one reached over turned off the key, I could be doing 55 thru town and just shut down, First thing i changed was the ing switch under dash (not it) and i shook every wire under hood and dash (not it) so that left me with ICM or coil since i was running with the nutter could not be comp (ecm) The ICM and coil would have cost me about 130 so at the time i said screw it and bought the HEI dist, since i was running a weber.with HEI you no longer need ICM,COIL,ECM nothing but one wire hook up, Also put my icm in friends jeep and it shut down to so thats how i found out it was that. Autozone icm is 65.00
yep....that is EXACTLY what mine does. Doesn't sputter, it just shuts off, like you said, as if someone turned off the key. Does not matter the speed, or how long you drive. Sometimes I can go 2 miles and it shuts down, sometimes all day with no problem. It always restarts, but its really frustrating to have it shut down at 65 mph on the highway! So...I already have the ignition switch to replace, so I'll go ahead and do that, and if it does not work, I'll go with the ICM. Its $90 at NAPA. :cry:

what is the problem on those icm? bad solder joints? bmw had a bit of trouble with that on the boards for the gauge clusters. we would just pull them out and reflow all the solder and be good to go

okay, replaced the ignition switch, didn't fix it. Replaced the icm last night, now time will tell. Ran great this morning. I REALLY hope that fixed it!!!!

me too, its a bummer to hear people having continuous trouble because you know it leaves a bitter taste in people's mouths

UGH....replaced the icm. Didn't fix it. :x:x:x:x Stalled out driving it today. So there is another wasted $100. So now what? :?|

UGH....replaced the icm. Didn't fix it. :x:x:x:x Stalled out driving it today. So there is another wasted $100. So now what? :?|
I'm sorry that did not work for you as it did for me, I still think it's with in your elec,Your tach drops to zero as did mine again like some one shut it off in our jeeps we only have ecm , icm ,coil . You can do a nutter to bypass comp, we know it's not ign switch or icm so if you shook all wires and checked the link fuses at the silonoid, really dont think it's a link fuses but should be checked then all that is left is coil and yes coil can be intermittent and your tach hooks right to your coil ,I would really check your coil.We will beat this don't give up on me yet

Just looked at other post ok your coil is new so i guess you just put it on? then i would check your pick up coil in the distribuator

I'm sorry that did not work for you as it did for me, I still think it's with in your elec,Your tach drops to zero as did mine again like some one shut it off in our jeeps we only have ecm , icm ,coil . You can do a nutter to bypass comp, we know it's not ign switch or icm so if you shook all wires and checked the link fuses at the silonoid, really dont think it's a link fuses but should be checked then all that is left is coil and yes coil can be intermittent and your tach hooks right to your coil ,I would really check your coil.We will beat this don't give up on me yet
I agree I think its electrical. And thats going to be a nightmare to track down....Looking at doing the nutter bypass on it. Do you know anything about the automatic shut down on it? Could that have anything to do with it stalling?

Check the connection at the coil. I read lots of issues on that plastic piece that connects the harness to the coil

I agree I think its electrical. And thats going to be a nightmare to track down....Looking at doing the nutter bypass on it. Do you know anything about the automatic shut down on it? Could that have anything to do with it stalling?
I no nothing of our year jeeps having an auto shut off also did you check coil yet i know you said new but how new for it to shut off like it does your problem is in that area as in short to coil , dist, or just bad parts

I no nothing of our year jeeps having an auto shut off also did you check coil yet i know you said new but how new for it to shut off like it does your problem is in that area as in short to coil , dist, or just bad parts
The auto shut-off is in the ECU.....at least that is what the Haynes manual says. :???: Maybe it does not have one, but just wondering if that would cause any problems. Going to check the connection at the coil today and possibly do a nutter bypass and see if that helps any. I'll let ya know!! The coil was replaced MAYBE 500 miles ago. I don't think its the coil itself.....maybe the connection.

okay....did the Nutter bypass, and it (so far) runs great!! No stalling, and starts right up. Not gonna hold my breath that its fixed just yet, but so far it seems to be. But now....NO HEATER!!!! :cry: It worked before the bypass. :(

No heater ? bypass has nothing to do with heater maybe you hit some thing while you were under hood knocked some thing loose.

No heater ? bypass has nothing to do with heater maybe you hit some thing while you were under hood knocked some thing loose.
:lol: yeah I found it.....I accidentally knocked something loose. :roll: But so far, the Jeep is STILL running great. Not so much as a sputter!!! YAY!!! :D

I have a 1988 Wrangler YJ that is doing the same. Mine when it shuts off though does not start up right away, it will take some time almost as if the engine is to hot and it needs to cool off or something. Once it sits for about an hour or so it will start right back up. Mine also when it shuts off, everything will shut off radio, tach, gauges, everything until you turn the key off and attempt to start it again. Once you turn the key on everything comes back on. Again if anyone can lend an idea I would be greatful also.... And what is this nutter bypass I have read on here? How do you preform this test?

Last edited:
you change some wires around from the ecu to the ignition control module, eliminating the ecu from controlling anything on the engine. basically, you are returning your jeep to being set up like a cj. i did mine when i first got it and have had no problems with it running. i also changed my vacuum lines over to being like an old cj and then changed them even more and now i have one vacuum line with a T in it and the electrical is just hte basics.

google nutter bypass and you will find a color coded diagram and instructions that are very easy to follow. thats how i did mine. then once you are ready to fix your vacuum lines, i can tell you what to do for that.

but, before we talk about that stuff, make sure you can pass any inspections your area has first. this stuff can make you fail an emissions test if they do a visual or certain types of smog checks.

here in south texas, you only have ot have a catalytic converter so mine is good

Back