1988 Wrangler stalling--FRUSTRATED!!!!

HOYT4ELK....the best name on jeepz....nothing like a Hoyt....Elk season is coming soon!!!

My jeep is doing the same thing as HOYT4ELK's. My jeep already has the nutter bypass. Anybody have any ideas of what he did to fix it. He sad the ICM and ignition switch didnt fix it....

I took the jeep somewhere for them to fix it. Charged me $128 to fix it, they did something to try and fix it but failed, jeep still does it.

Aside from the point they said they tested the ignition switch and it was fine. I figured if it were the coil or something it would just go bad, not randomly stop working....I wish HOYT4ELK would respond!!!

I took the jeep somewhere for them to fix it. Charged me $128 to fix it, they did something to try and fix it but failed, jeep still does it.

Aside from the point they said they tested the ignition switch and it was fine. I figured if it were the coil or something it would just go bad, not randomly stop working....I wish HOYT4ELK would respond!!!

Two year old thread dude, odds are he's not even on here anymore. Did you go thru and CLEAN and I mean clean all the grounds? Intermittent problems are the worst to nail down.

Ive cleaned some of the ones I can find, is there somewhere for me to look and see where and how many grounds exist?

Im sure he isn't here anymore, but I figured its worth a shot, Im really in need of a running vehicle.

Ignition coils can stop working when the engine gets hot and be fine when cold, or just give up the ghost at anytime without warning.

I may try to put one of those in and see what happens, for the price, I guess its worth it. When it cuts off, it fires RIGHT back up everytime instantly. Think it could still be an ignition coil?

1988 YJ 4.2 with reman. carb and I installed HEI upgrade, no Nutter Bypass of PCM.
Runs smooth at idle.
Accelerates normally.

Ever since I installed the HEI with new coil I experienced same sudden stalls w/o warning.

Sometimes while cruising 30 mph , sometimes at idle in driveway.

Tach drops immediately to zero.

Replaced ignition control module 5 times - still FAILED.
Replaced ignition coil twice -still FAILED.

Checked / cleaned as many grounds as I could find.

Has anyone isolated the cause?
Could it be intermittent PCM ?

Usually Jeep fires up right away even w/o waiting for a cool down period.
Sometimes I have to wait several minutes to restart .

Tried jiggling wires to recreate at idle - FAILED , could not force it to stall.

Thinking of undoing the HEI and go back to
stock spark plugs / gaps,
stock distrib car / stock rotor/ stock plug wires / original ignition coil with stock terminals
and timing.

I have had this for over 10 years.
Local mechanics have not resolved the random stall.

No looseness in ignition switch, no dangling key chain.

Crank position sensor?
Fuel pressure due to pump or fuel filter?

Does your fuel line run past or over the exhaust. Could be evaporating fuel causing a no gas situation.
Try rerouting or wrap in tinfoil loosely for 2-3 layers in the hot zones. Or wrap the exhaust.

“Had this for 10yrs.” Do you mean you had the stalling issue for 10 yrs?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Back