gear grind and trany knocking...

Greencuke

ok, heres two points i am wondering about:
1. ive noticed for some time that when backing into my driveway, shifting into reverse there is a small about of gear grinding going on. A few days ago after an even of getting stuck (which is another deal to cover some other time) i was rocking it, first gear to reverse, and everytime i went to reverse, the gear would grind like crazy. whats going on w/ this?
2. For a little while ive noticed that when acceleration (mostly in first gear) there would be one or two qucik knocks comming from the bump where the T-case lives. I also noticed it once when i was going from 2nd to third. the past few mornings ive noticed it more as i leave my house (maybe cause its cold and i dont warm it up first). does anyone have experence w/ any of these problems?
-Reggie [addsig]

I think the grinding into reverse is from the fact that reverse doenst have any syncros. I just put the trans into a forward gear first then right to reverse and i dont have any grinding, but when i didnt do that i ahd lots of it. or maybe its because you were moving forward when you shifted into reverse. as for the transmission knocking, i have no idea.

TARSI[addsig]

tarsij is exactly right... just shift into first gear immediately before shifting into reverse and you won't have any problem. as far as the transfer case... i really don't know (my friend is having the same problem though so if you find anything out, let me know please!). you could start by just changing your t-case fluid... i did mine yesterday actually and it shouldn't take any more than 30 minutes. [addsig]

Back