Soft Top Question

2005wrangX

I'm Trying to shop around for a soft top for my 2005 tj. ive notice there are two different kinds, ones that fit over the roll cage and another that have support hardware. my question is can anyone tell me the difference between the two, pros/cons sorta thing. or redirect me to a an already existing thread on the topic. thanks guys!

What do you mean by " over the roll cage"?. Do you have a roll cage or the factory sport bars that came with the jeep?. I've never seen a soft top that went under the bars. If you you could post a link or lead us the way to a site where you saw this so we can see what you mean, that would be helpful. Here's some links on soft top discussions fom the past here.
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-jk/24407-trektop-not.html

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-jk/26637-new-soft-top-2000-a.html

I'm Trying to shop around for a soft top for my 2005 tj. ive notice there are two different kinds, ones that fit over the roll cage and another that have support hardware. my question is can anyone tell me the difference between the two, pros/cons sorta thing. or redirect me to a an already existing thread on the topic. thanks guys!

I believe that all soft tops require hardware. It sounds like you're looking at full tops with hardware, and replacement tops that expect you to reuse your existing hardware.

the top im looking at is the Rampage frameless trail top. it sayd instas over the original factory roll bars.

but looking at it its 389$ plus the 35$ for the windshielf channel and then tellibg me i need the mopar door surrounds and tailgate bar for another 200+$. what is all that other stuff for outside of the 389$?

Stock soft tops hardware mount to the stock roll bar. One of the aftermarket brands (I am not sure who) uses their own mounts which do not mount to the factory roll bar. Maybe that is what he is trying to find out about.

Do a Google search for TJ door surounds and windshield channel. There will be lots of pics etc. of them. The TJ needs these pieces to secure the soft top to the windshield frame and to fill in the gap between the door top and soft top.

109535 - Rampage Products Frameless Trail Top with Tinted Windows for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ - Quadratec

113632-lg.jpg 113632-add11-lg.jpg 113632-add13-lg.jpg 113632-add17-lg.jpg

The Rampage frameless soft top installs over the original equipment factory roll bar for a snug fit without the need for additional bows or support hardware. This unique design allows for larger side windows and improved visibility with removable side and rear windows that quickly convert the soft top into an open Island Top. Windows use heavy duty molded tooth zippers and are easily replaced or removed and stored in a special separation panel between the ceiling and roof top which is concealed and protects the windows from scratches or puncture. The fastback style offers improved aerodynamics and is considerably lighter then factory bow style tops. This top requires the use of the Mopar® factory door surrounds and tailgate bar, as well as a header windshield channel (sold separately).

I've never seen one one in person, but it looks OK. It's about $100 cheaper than a traditional top. If you get one then let us know what you think of it.

the top im looking at is the Rampage frameless trail top. it sayd instas over the original factory roll bars.

but looking at it its 389$ plus the 35$ for the windshielf channel and then tellibg me i need the mopar door surrounds and tailgate bar for another 200+$. what is all that other stuff for outside of the 389$?

If your jeep never had a soft top then you'll need that door surround. It's pretty much the upper part of the door jamb where the soft top will attach to on the side. Likewise on the tailgate bar. These components are reusable from the old soft top if your just replacing it.

Trektops are the same way. Operates on the roll cage without the cage. I bought one and I'm totally diggin it. ...i really should write that review... Anyways, I've only been witness to 2 drawbacks on the Trektop: if windows are down on the highway, the top will hit the wind pretty hard ... like a huge subwoofer on your roof. That and I can stick my hand out the jeep with doors closed windows up. BUT, i haven't had any leakage so i don't care about that really.. until it becomes winter and I've got this constant freezing wind on my bald head. The Trektop comes with the door surrounds when you buy it from 4wd.com. The install isn't too technical, just don't put the bar mounts on upside down and assume you have it correct and the factory gave your crap mounts, so you get your hammer and shape it to make it work, THEN head back to the instructions and notice that you're an idiot.

But a quick pros/cons for framed vs. no frame:

framed pros: better seal. more "structural integrity" (e.g. the cloth isn't moving unless you want it to move or it's broken) storage.

no framed pros: 1 zipper, 2 pieces of cloth, quick removal/detachment, metal door surrounds. (personal opinion) cooler cosmetics/look, cheaper to completely replace

framed cons: security, lots o zippers, lots o pieces, complete replace cost high,

no framed cons: security, floppy feel, rear veiw mirror partial blockage, no frame which means no real place to store it if you take it off away from home.

Thats what I can think of off the top of my head. I had a really crappy framed top with the jeep for a long time, and getting this trektop made me ubber happy with the upgrade.

Want to know about Jeep tops? The best place to look is Google Best Top for their web site. There are several links to You Tube that have demonstrations on how to install them, etc. Pictures are good; movies are better.

I just bought a new Best Top Sailcloth top for my 2003 TJ with half doors. I bought it at a 4 Wheel Parts Jeep and Truck fest for $ 748.79 including all windows and door tops.

pizaba said:
Trektops are the same way. Operates on the roll cage without the cage. I bought one and I'm totally diggin it. ...i really should write that review... Anyways, I've only been witness to 2 drawbacks on the Trektop: if windows are down on the highway, the top will hit the wind pretty hard ... like a huge subwoofer on your roof. That and I can stick my hand out the jeep with doors closed windows up. BUT, i haven't had any leakage so i don't care about that really.. until it becomes winter and I've got this constant freezing wind on my bald head. The Trektop comes with the door surrounds when you buy it from 4wd.com. The install isn't too technical, just don't put the bar mounts on upside down and assume you have it correct and the factory gave your crap mounts, so you get your hammer and shape it to make it work, THEN head back to the instructions and notice that you're an idiot.

But a quick pros/cons for framed vs. no frame:

framed pros: better seal. more "structural integrity" (e.g. the cloth isn't moving unless you want it to move or it's broken) storage.

no framed pros: 1 zipper, 2 pieces of cloth, quick removal/detachment, metal door surrounds. (personal opinion) cooler cosmetics/look, cheaper to completely replace

framed cons: security, lots o zippers, lots o pieces, complete replace cost high,

no framed cons: security, floppy feel, rear veiw mirror partial blockage, no frame which means no real place to store it if you take it off away from home.

Thats what I can think of off the top of my head. I had a really crappy framed top with the jeep for a long time, and getting this trektop made me ubber happy with the upgrade.

How is the noise level compared to a regular sailcloth top on the highway? I know you said with the windows down its loud, what about with them up? And maybe I'm not real smart but I guess I need you to explain what you mean about storing it when you take it down away from home. It doesn't fold down nice and neat like a factory soft top? I'm going to be needing a new top sometime soon and was considering a frameless design but if it tough to store folded down that might be a deal breaker. I've seen a couple guys around here with that style but haven't been able to catch them to ask what they think.

Nathan

I need you to explain what you mean about storing it when you take it down away from home. It doesn't fold down nice and neat like a factory soft top? I'm going to be needing a new top sometime soon and was considering a frameless design but if it tough to store folded down that might be a deal breaker. I've seen a couple guys around here with that style but haven't been able to catch them to ask what they think.

Nathan

The factory top is secured to the soft top frame, and folds down on the frame. Without a frame you'd just have to fold the top up and lay it in the back seat. You already have to do that with your soft top uppers (if you have them) though.

Yea I don't know what I was thinking when I asked that. I guess it just sounded like he was saying it was a pain to take off if you were out and about. Is it as quick to take off and on as the factory top?

Yea I don't know what I was thinking when I asked that. I guess it just sounded like he was saying it was a pain to take off if you were out and about. Is it as quick to take off and on as the factory top?

What Terry said. Since there's no frame, it doesn't just collapse with the frame on the back of the jeep tub. As for loudness, it varies depending on the wind. I've been testing it with the only constant I can think of: radio volume clicks. Using the stock radio, i've found that:

sitting in the Jeep without driving, 7 clicks from zero noise to get the radio up loud enough to hear the song/commercial/whatever.
11 clicks is at 40 mph
and anywhere between 15 and 21 clicks on the highway.

When I had the framed softtop, I did not conduct this ubber scientific test with such solid controls as the radio cause I wasn't thinking. I figured the radio is the one thing the majority of people have to be able to understand the loudness/quietness I was experiencing with the trektop.

Oh, and it's quicker to take off, about the same time to put back on. Getting those plastic fingers/lips/whatever things to snap into place around the tub is the same time consuming quickness as with the framed.

i appreciate it guys, i really learned alot. i found one on ebay. unused soft top with all hardware, frame, tailgate bar. for 440$. plus shipping and tax im looking at around 550 range.

ok guys so i got the rampage top. found on one ebay with all the hardware and tinted windows for 410$. plus shipping and tax it came out to 500$ even.

i assembled and mounted it myself. it was not too hard. the directions were not
very clear so it took me a few hours.

ive had it on a week and i think ive
had the top down more than up. great weather we go in jersey right now. ill post pictures in a little bit.

i do have a question though. sometimes there is space between the back window and the top of the tail gate. it wont always stay in front of it. has this happend to anyone? does water get it? what could be a solution?

........i do have a question though. sometimes there is space between the back window and the top of the tail gate. it wont always stay in front of it. has this happend to anyone? does water get it? what could be a solution?

Did your top include the aforementioned "tailgate bar"? My factory top has a bar that slides through a channel in the rear window and locks into place right above the tailgate. Doesn't hook to the tailgate, but when you shut it, it ain't moving......and it's a fairly watertight fit. I'm thinking that's what you're missing.

ur right, all they gave me was a strip of rubber that slides on top of the tail gate.

Attachments

• image-1029949617.png
    image-1029949617.png
    728.1 KB · Views: 431
Back