Whats the best lift kit?

Wcrsi1

Hello, fellow jeepers
I have a 2.5 inch lift with a 3/4 in spacer for the weight of the winch in the front, just got 35" tires and lost some clearence between the tire and fender, I want to go with a 4 or 6" lift, but I Do not know what would be the best quality lift i can get with everything i need, brake lines everything so nothing goes wrong on the trail, What do ya recomend and why? I have sky Jacker but had problems with the link arms breaking after few 100, miles, heard of rough country, and rancho, they did say i would need to change my driveshafts, rather anyway to not have any problems later, trying to make a decission soon, they said just exctentions on the origanal drive shafts, not sure about that, let me know please,
Thanks alot guys
Wayne:shades:

Re: what is the best lift kit for 2009 rubicon jk HELP?

i would look at old man emu and see if they make anything for your application. i had their 2.5 kit on my liberty and it was awesome. i have used rough country on my cherokee and it was ok to me but lots of people complain about it. i did have to buy lots of parts outside the kit to make it right though, adjustable track bar, control arm drop mounts, and longer brake lines.

If I were you, I would install a 1" body lift and then just limit the up travel and run it as is. Also, if you can, I prefer to make my own links, if not, and if you can find them, the Rubicon Express Control arms were some of the best ones I have ever worked with, and they are completely rebuildable.

thanks, heard bad things about rough country as well, ranch not sure litle high rubicon exspress m maybe or fabtec, wanted to go higher to allow tires plent of clearance before the fenders, like the stock fenders match well with the bumpers i have, and body lift wouldnt that put space between the bumper and the body itself, does it really give enough lift to make the diferance,? tough decission, had a procomp 4" on a tj one time and brake lines broke 4 wheeling, so this time going taller, i dont want anything happen in the field. thanks guys,
Wayne

Read some reviews. Some people may have bad feelings to one company or another and others good. If you didn't replace the extend or buy longer lines for your TJ I can see that happening with a stock lines and 4" of lift. Bigger always means more parts in the end. See who sells the most complete kit for your needs and read reviews.

Body lift is a pretty solid idea, you'll get another inch out of it. If you want a little more trim the fenders a bit.

I have a rubicon express 4.5" superflex kit whith short arms on my 1998 tj & i did had to modify the drive shaft, pitman arm and the CVYoke. The result, i never have any ploblems with rubicon express parts.
I know it was more expensive than other options, but i'm not a mecanic & i want my jeep to be my relayable off road toy, not a pain in ........
Good luck

Rubicon Express used to be pretty much the default answer whenever someone asked what was the "best" lift kit to buy. Now that they're no longer in business, it seems like noone really knows anymore. Plus now everybody seems to think that big lift = bad. Seems like a lot has changed in the off-road world in the last 5 years or so.

Anyway, that said I am running Rough Country X-Flex arms upper and lower, front and rear, and have no complaints. I've had them installed since last Thanksgiving and have done a lot of wheeling on them including multiple runs on blue-black and black trails at Rausch Creek and they've performed well.

Personally I think skyjacker is the best, but most of it is matter of opinion.

A lot of people will drag you over the coals for saying that (i.e., "More like MALLjacker! LOL"). However I have to admit that the Skyjacker springs and shocks on my TJ perform quite well, but I do plan on upgrading the shocks as time and money permit. I've heard people say that Skyjacker springs won't flex but mine flex incredibly well.

Instead of making specific product recommendations (you'll get plenty of those here) let me offer another direction of thought to ponder...

The simple answer to your question is, "There is no BEST suspension."

As a starting point seriously consider the type of wheeling you will be doing. High speed, pre-runner stuff? Rock crawling? Mud slinging? Mostly trail and fire roads? Or a combination of everything? Each has it's own requirements that need to be taken into consideration when comparing suspension lift systems.

Next is, what's your budget? Can you afford to build that killer dream system or are you going to have to accept compromises due to cash limitations?

Are you installing the system yourself? Do you really have the knowledge, skills, time, tools, and facilities to complete the job?

Or are you planning on having the system installed by someone else? Do you have a competent shop already in mind or do you need to locate one? Do they, or will they, have their own preferences for specific brands and parts? If they agree to install a kit you carry in yourself, how much experience do they have with your selection?

Next (and what you are doing now) is to solicit opinions from other Jeepers. Look for 1st hand experience, not stuff that someone has heard about. Realize how hard it is for a lot of people to be really critical of their own stuff after spending a ton of cash and time to get it on their rig. Watch out for phrases like, "I really abuse my stuff," or "it does everything I want it too." Those are examples pretty arbitrary answers. After all, what does "abuse" mean and someone's everything may be nothing like you plan on wheeling.

Finally, plan it out and do it right the first time. Make sure you have the finances available to buy everything you need without taking shortcuts or accepting inferior products. It took me 4 years of planning and saving to finally lift my rig but I've been extremely happy and without regret ever since. In fact, I'd probably have to say it's the best suspension system in the whole wide world! Okay, just kidding. ;)

As for complete kits....... full traction has some good stuff. I dont really hear much about them pos or neg. Im about to install a 6 in full traction on my 06 tj. I cant really comment on the "best" cuz i have zero exp. with anything.

I originally wanted rubicon express..... .but they are not currently available...... i believe tho, that they are opening back up asap. Soooo if you have patience i do believe they will become available soon.

Dont want to jack the thread.... but is there a preference for any of you between (forgive me if i slaughter this) 4 link vs radius arms? Any exp with any of that shite? It seems to me that the 4 arms would be better than 2+2 halves. Perhaps my thinking is waaaaaay off though. But if 1 of the halves or wholes breaks..... arent you f'd in the b?

phall92139 said:
Instead of making specific product recommendations (you'll get plenty of those here) let me offer another direction of thought to ponder...

The simple answer to your question is, "There is no BEST suspension."

As a starting point seriously consider the type of wheeling you will be doing. High speed, pre-runner stuff? Rock crawling? Mud slinging? Mostly trail and fire roads? Or a combination of everything? Each has it's own requirements that need to be taken into consideration when comparing suspension lift systems.

Next is, what's your budget? Can you afford to build that killer dream system or are you going to have to accept compromises due to cash limitations?

Are you installing the system yourself? Do you really have the knowledge, skills, time, tools, and facilities to complete the job?

Or are you planning on having the system installed by someone else? Do you have a competent shop already in mind or do you need to locate one? Do they, or will they, have their own preferences for specific brands and parts? If they agree to install a kit you carry in yourself, how much experience do they have with your selection?

Next (and what you are doing now) is to solicit opinions from other Jeepers. Look for 1st hand experience, not stuff that someone has heard about. Realize how hard it is for a lot of people to be really critical of their own stuff after spending a ton of cash and time to get it on their rig. Watch out for phrases like, "I really abuse my stuff," or "it does everything I want it too." Those are examples pretty arbitrary answers. After all, what does "abuse" mean and someone's everything may be nothing like you plan on wheeling.

Finally, plan it out and do it right the first time. Make sure you have the finances available to buy everything you need without taking shortcuts or accepting inferior products. It took me 4 years of planning and saving to finally lift my rig but I've been extremely happy and without regret ever since. In fact, I'd probably have to say it's the best suspension system in the whole wide world! Okay, just kidding. ;)

What he said!

Hello, fellow jeepers
I have a 2.5 inch lift with a 3/4 in spacer for the weight of the winch in the front, just got 35" tires and lost some clearence between the tire and fender, I want to go with a 4 or 6" lift, but I Do not know what would be the best quality lift i can get with everything i need, brake lines everything so nothing goes wrong on the trail, What do ya recomend and why? I have sky Jacker but had problems with the link arms breaking after few 100, miles, heard of rough country, and rancho, they did say i would need to change my driveshafts, rather anyway to not have any problems later, trying to make a decission soon, they said just exctentions on the origanal drive shafts, not sure about that, let me know please,
Thanks alot guys
Wayne:shades:

If you want the top of the line lift for your rig, put a Teraflex lift under it.
Teraflex builds tough and flexy lifts. The control arm joints have large bearing surfaces to go along with the ability to allow you suspension to twist and gyrate like you want it to in the rough stuff, yet you will have an often better than stock ride on the highway... especially if you go with the long arm packages.
The new Pre Runner package has some special things that you won't find on any other lift. It allows you to go out on a rough trail at much higher speeds than all your friends will. Check them out before you buy one of the other "lesser" lifts.

My springs perform great, I love my lift I don't see why people call it malljacker when alot of guys use it for their rigs and have awesome.

Awsome, reports, thanks guys, was looking online at a place called project jknow and they had a awsome jk that would practacly go anyware, i have my skyjacker on now, and i have had to replace the swaybar links with in 4 mths they were bad, other than that seems ok, but for a 6" lift, there is alot that needs to be done so you have no problems happen off roading, and wanting the best kit that covers everything so i dont find out the hard way off road, look like there is long arm kits, and rubicon exspress, nith degree, teraflex, seems to be very out standing, someone say you pay for what you get, very true, but these days money is the ticket. still looking,and recerching, have about 10,000 to spend will see.

Back