3.7 to 4.10 gears trying to understand ?

matchbox145

Ok if i want to change my dana 30 and 35 with 3.7 to 4.10 gears i just buy the complete dana 30 & 35 from a jeep that had a 4cy in it and swap them out ? and this will help with off roading and be able to run bigger tires Thanks for your help

You can also just swap out the gears in the axles with out removing the axles.

You want to look for a 4cyl 5spd Wrangler for the 4.10 axles, and '87-'90 rear axles are slightly stronger than the '91-'95 models due to the lack of c-clips and tapered axleshafts.

My recommendation, find a 4.11 front axle from another YJ, and a Ford 8.8 rear axle with 4.11 from a '95+ Explorer. They can even be found with a limited slip diff, look for 4L10 or 4L11 on the diff tag for the limited slip.

You want to look for a 4cyl 5spd Wrangler for the 4.10 axles, and '87-'90 rear axles are slightly stronger than the '91-'95 models due to the lack of c-clips and tapered axleshafts.

My recommendation, find a 4.11 front axle from another YJ, and a Ford 8.8 rear axle with 4.11 from a '95+ Explorer. They can even be found with a limited slip diff, look for 4L10 or 4L11 on the diff tag for the limited slip.
If i found the ford 8.8 what would have to be done to fit my jeep, My jeep is a 89 4.2 5 speed.

Just google 'jeep ford 8.8 swap' and you will find tons of info. It's simple and only requires a small amount of welding.

are your gears currently 3.07 or 3.73? 3.73-4.10 is not a huge jump. if you can find axles cheap to bolt in as is, then I gues it is worth it, if you need to buy gears and set them up, go deeper than that.

are your gears currently 3.07 or 3.73? 3.73-4.10 is not a huge jump. if you can find axles cheap to bolt in as is, then I gues it is worth it, if you need to buy gears and set them up, go deeper than that.
My gears are 3.07 and im open to all options

just unbolt your axle assembly and bolt in the 4.10 ones from the 4 banger. easiest way for you if you have no experience

what size tires are you running and what transmission? also you have to change the gear in your t-case for the speedo to match your tire size as well as gears, Quadratec has 2 styles available, some t-case have long shaft gears and some have short shaft gears. i have a 94 4.0 (quite hopped up) and am running 4.56 and lockers front and rear with the NV4500 transmission, and love it! i can pull the tires off the ground from a dead stop with hardly any gas! the torque is awesome, and I have no problem doing 90+ in 5th gear down the highway

what size tires are you running and what transmission? also you have to change the gear in your t-case for the speedo to match your tire size as well as gears, Quadratec has 2 styles available, some t-case have long shaft gears and some have short shaft gears. i have a 94 4.0 (quite hopped up) and am running 4.56 and lockers front and rear with the NV4500 transmission, and love it! i can pull the tires off the ground from a dead stop with hardly any gas! the torque is awesome, and I have no problem doing 90+ in 5th gear down the highway
I'm running 31s for now going to go up to 33s my transmission is the b10

Ok if i want to change my dana 30 and 35 with 3.7 to 4.10 gears i just buy the complete dana 30 & 35 from a jeep that had a 4cy in it and swap them out ? and this will help with off roading and be able to run bigger tires Thanks for your help

Whoa there a minute you guys. You're all putting the horse before the cart a bunch.

First, we need to know what you plan to do. What size tires are you planning to run? That will tell you about your next step(s). Your tire size will dictate what gear ratio you want to run. Don't change a thing till you have that figured out.
It might even tell you that you will need some kind of a lift before you need the gears. If you can't run the larger tires, the gears won't matter.

Go to HappyTrails4wd.com and sign up for the newsletter and Ebook that will give you a really good account of what you need to think about when you want to build a Jeep. There is more to consider than just changing gears and /or axles.
The axle swaps mentioned above make sense if you plan to really do more difficult trails. If you are just staying in the middle class stuff, you probably don't need to go to that much expense.

3.56-3.90 gears you can run and change no problem, but when you go to 4.10 and smaller you have to change the carrier.

If you never changed gears in a axle then changing the whole axle housing is the easiest way.
Because even if both axles are dana 30's changing out the gears will require you to re-set pinion depths and backlash. Also if it is a "C" clip design you need to check axle lash because each differential could be machined differently.

tire size and torque/horsepower specs in your drivetrain wil all dicate your choice of gears as a whole! you have to know your power range and power rpm range, as well as what you are wanting to use the vehicle for. if you want to crawl you will want MUCH steeper gears, but as a daily driver you will want a choice of gears that offers good offroad as well as on road performance, etc. so you really need to decied what kind of FINAL gear ratio you want to have for the application you plan on using your jeep in 4hi, 4lo and 2hi, in all 4-6 gears in your transmission

Back