Rearend

AR Jeepman

My lil brother traded his truck for a jeep he get 8 miles from the guys house stops and when he took off he heard a pop from the rearend and it wouldn't move. Anyone know what this problem is and the cheapest fix is its a 79 cj5 with a 10" lift all stock rear end he's wondering what part he broke he didnt have it 20min :x:x

All stock rear end...with 10" of lift wow. That whole rear end probably had enough tell him to change out the whole rear and put in a dana 44 or ford 8.8 or if he wants to go big off the top a Dana 60. Anything is stronger then stock I think the rear on that is an Amc 20.

probably knocked out the spider gears in tghe carrier, needs to upgrade the axle!! dana 60s would be the better and stronger choice for a vehicle with that much lift, the bigger the tires the more stress on the axle housing and shafts!!

305/70/R17's pulled the cover off for him today no broken gears?? or bolts I think the axel is broke you spin the drive shaft an hold the tire and the tire doesn't move and the gears all turn like normal?

should be a C-clip axle, take off the wheels and drums or rotors, push the axles all the way in (one at a time) take the center pin out of the carrier, remove c-clip and pull out the axle shaft and see what it looks like. Tires put a lot of strain on axle housings, gears and shafts!! upgraded axles are best, and full floating axles help a lot too

Should work just fine and it's not a c-clip axle like stated above.

M20 has bearing retainer plates like a ford 9" does. I would get one piece forged axles from a good reputable axle company (NOT Crown), someone like Summers Bros, Alloy, etc. My summers Bros. kit I had to press the bearing on and the retainer collar too.

X2 I'd like to see the drive shaft angles, bet those u-joints scream going down the road.

79 cj 5 pic

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 363

Might just be me but that doesn't look anywhere near 10" of lift. Kinda funny with the chrome rims and rattle can camo paint.

Back