Oil Change

tbfreeman

My jeep is about ready for an oil change. This is my first jeep and would like some input on what's the best oil to put in it. It's a 2.5 L with 139k miles. Synthetic oil or not? 10w30 or what? Thanks!

It is a little late to worry about synthetic. It won't hurt but it won't help. I'd suggest either a 10w-30 high mileage oil like Max Life or Shell Rotella 10w-30. Check out the other thread titled "Oil".

rotella and mobil 1 are my favorite oils!! i use mobil 1 in EVERYTHING in my jeep as well as the rest of my cars. and i run 10-30 in my YJ 4.0

I've been using Castrol GTX for ages, backed up with Hastings Densite filters

i have a 91 yj 2.5l 5speed 112,000mi 31"s. i use Mobil 1 extended life full synthetic.ams oil and rotella are great oils too.

Personally, I think the frequency of oil changes is more important than the brand of oil. I've changed ours regularly and can't really recommend any brand other than "NEW".......165K and 159K and still running strong (4bangers). No preferences here........new oil and filter every 3K to 5K.....regular as clockwork......no preferences here. My vehicles currently back me up..........................but, of course, the engines could blow tomorrow!:shock:

Synthetics will have less friction; but because of this, if you have any small holes that were too small for regular oil to leak out from, the synthetic will make it through those and you will have leaks. Persaonlly, I tend to use synthetics even with 136K miles on mine...

My jeep is about ready for an oil change. This is my first jeep and would like some input on what's the best oil to put in it. It's a 2.5 L with 139k miles. Synthetic oil or not? 10w30 or what? Thanks!

Do you know what type of oil's been in it up till now?

Hi,
I am the tech manager at FRAM Filters. You only need synthetic if your going to extend your change interval to at least 6k miles. If you do go to synthetic, make sure you use a oil filter designed for extended drain intervals.
If you want to learn about filters, we are having a tech promo right now at Framchallenge.com. You log in, learn about filtration and win prizes. It's not a FRAM advertisment, I promise! :D

Just a FYI...

For all you Mobli 1 guys that are also COSTCO members, check you mail. Their latest coupon booklet (6/9 -7/3/11) has a coupon for $9.00 off on cases of 6/1 quart, 5W30 and/or 10W30 oil. Limit = 3 cases.

i use the off brand dinosaur oil from walmart and a fram filter. have as long as i have owned cars. sometimes i will get something else, if its on sale but normally its the walmart brand and a fram. i have never lost an engine due to an oil problem. that was on my autocross bmw also.

i always go against the norm just to see if anything actually is different. if it is, nothing has happened. i sold my autocross bmw with over 300k miles on it and that was almost 4 years ago now. the guy who currently owns it delivers pizza during the week and races autocross on the weekends in it.

i use the off brand dinosaur oil from walmart and a fram filter. have as long as i have owned cars. sometimes i will get something else, if its on sale but normally its the walmart brand and a fram. i have never lost an engine due to an oil problem. that was on my autocross bmw also.

i always go against the norm just to see if anything actually is different. if it is, nothing has happened. i sold my autocross bmw with over 300k miles on it and that was almost 4 years ago now. the guy who currently owns it delivers pizza during the week and races autocross on the weekends in it.

:agree:......whole lot cheaper, too. Just be regular with the changes.

+1 for regular oil changes. I run synthetic because I have observed slightly better mileage (I record every fill up and mileage, a freak, i know) and that the engine runs a little cooler. Change the oil regularly is the most important concept.

I too, change oil frequently. I do spend the extra coin on synthetics for everything there's an application for as I am sold on the added benefits and performance characteristics. To me the additional expense is just cheap insurance. Whether or not there's a shread of validity of this I have no way of proving, other than it gives me peace of mind.

I use a Donaldson P550299 oil filter.
image-missing.png

As Josh at Skinny Pedal describes it:

Fits Jeep 4.0 Liter straight 6 engines.

· High capacity 2 quart filter.

· Gain extra oil capacity with the same oil pan.

· 4 times larger than stock half quart filter.

· Filter element is coiled spring retained. Not cheap leaf spring like other filters.

· High flow integral bypass. Keeps clean and dirty oil separate at all times.

· Robust case, almost 20 thousands thick. That’s almost twice as thick as a standard filter.

He sells them for $9 per unit, quantity discounts available.

Donaldson Oil Filter : Skinny Pedal Products!

LF212-1.jpg
This is the critter I've been using for a few decades now. I like Hastings on account of their 'Densite' filter media (cotton fibers) that seem to provide better particle retention. At any rate, they've never failed me and I've always liked the square jawed Hastings guy.

"O'l Blue" has over a quarter million miles on the original 4.0 motor and still runs like a new unit . Valvoline standard 10w30 and the "el cheapo" Fram filter has done me right so far . I keep it really clean and change it at 2 grand instead of 3 as it is dirty at that point . Even with what is considered a "high mile" motor , I see no reason to run Max Life oil or anything thicker than the recommended 10w30 . People who know use Valvoline ! :shades::shades::shades:

Back