roll bar help

Desert Rat 1960

Hi all. Just purchased a 60 CJ-5. The body is 100% stock. I need/want to install a roll bar as it does not have one. Any suggestions on what to do??:???:

Make one, get pencil, paper, and tape measure,sketch out a rough design on how you want it then take the measurements on where to attach it at,just gotta get creative.

I would agree and say make your own, it'll be cheaper and you can have it the way you want. I'm pretty sure the 5 and the 7 are a little different so a 7 cage won't work. There are alot of write ups on CJ5 custom cages, google some.

I did find this...
FAMILY ROLL CAGE KIT CJ5, 6 POINT

That might work for you, pretty simple. I still say make your own.

I had a family roll cage in my '78 CJ5, but it interfered with the soft top bows, they couldn't retract beyond to aft bar. So I went for a couple of years with a Kentrol roll bar instead.
4523780328_a9a4b93e91_t-1.jpg
This allowed full retraction of the soft top bows. Later I came into some cash and after having a couple of custom projects fabbed at Mechanical Design out on Hwy. 34 I gave 'em my old 6 point family cage and this Kentrol bar a marry together.
The result was fabulous, their welds were impeccable and they even shot the assembly with paint and set it all in my CJ. for less than $200!

3213485433_498b2b0f55-1.jpg

"If" you have the fab skills, time and tools, then I'd agree making your own would allow you the most freedom in getting exactly what you want or need. However, a piece of safety equipment like a roll cage is not the project to learn how to bend and weld tubing on. Ensuring good design principals, nice smooth bends, good tube notches, and adequate triangulation and gusseting is the key to a great roll cage. The right materials also...nothing less than 1.5"x0.120" DOM tubing.

Sounds like Turbogus got a great deal!

Thanks everyone for the help. I located a used rollbar out of a 68 CJ-5 that will fit mine. I wish I had the tools, and the time to do it myself. Working overseas does not leave me much time to work on it when I am home:( I will post some pictures next time i am home and let you know how it came out.

Back