New clutch,shaky shifter in first.

Gennybro

I recently had a new clutch and slave cylinder put in my 91 yj, 4cyl,5 spd. I noticed at times the shifting lever shakes from side to side when takeing off in first gear,not all the time though. Dosn't shake in the other gears,just first occasionally. It's not a violent shake,but something I need to pay attention to,havent been able to get under the jeep to inspect anything ,due to injuries from a scooter accident. Figured I'd start picking some brains now on where to look for potential problem area. I have confidence in the shop that installed the clutch and slave cylinder,and havent addressed the issue with them at this point in time. Figured I'd ask you folks first on what to look for, maybe something wasn't tightened enough,any thoughts would be appreciated.

I recently had a new clutch and slave cylinder put in my 91 yj, 4cyl,5 spd. I noticed at times the shifting lever shakes from side to side when takeing off in first gear,not all the time though. Dosn't shake in the other gears,just first occasionally. It's not a violent shake,but something I need to pay attention to,havent been able to get under the jeep to inspect anything ,due to injuries from a scooter accident. Figured I'd start picking some brains now on where to look for potential problem area. I have confidence in the shop that installed the clutch and slave cylinder,and havent addressed the issue with them at this point in time. Figured I'd ask you folks first on what to look for, maybe something wasn't tightened enough,any thoughts would be appreciated.
Still waiting patiently for words of wisdom, any body got any thoughts. Called the garage that I had it done at,was told to bring it in and they would look at it,but trying to avoid anouther possible garage bill. Thanks

i have the same problem, 89 yj 6 cylinder, Mine started when i put bigger tires and cut the emergency brake cable. almost like the brakes are holding it sometimes. however i still have original clutch one of my bosses brothers owns a transmission shop i'll get with him and try to figure it out, let you know in a couple days.
on second thought i did have the clutch line loose so there may be some air in the line, not sure how to bleed it or if you can bleed it.
good luck

you can bleed it ya just need a friend to work the clutch pedal,dont know how your rig is set up, my slave cylinder is in the bell houseing,but there is a bleeder valve that sticks out on the passenger side,get a how to book , it's pretty simple, hardest part is probably finding a thirsty friend that needs a beer to work the clutch pedal.

did the transmission get tightened back up well? maybe a mount went out after removal and installation?

talked to my friend he told me it could be a broken transmission mount or the bushings around the gear shift could be worn. he said it didn't sound like air would be the problem. still havent had time to look mine over.

If it ain't a broken mount it might be a warped flywheel. Did they resurface the flywheel when the clutch was replaced?

Back