Front axle u-joint

Gr8tdragon

I have a 97 tj with the u-joint style front axles. Passenger side is starting to be lose and I think I might get a thousand k's out of her before she is gone.:( Can you press out the old u-joint and put in a new one or do you have to buy the whole axle assembly as I have seen? It is a spicer u-joint in the axle.

It's pretty easy to do. You can press them out & back in easy enough. You have to remove the clips, obviously and then use a couple of sockets and a vise. I sprayed mine with Deep Creep penetrating oil.

Some simply use a BFH but I like using a vise...more precise and you can watch it to make sure it's going together properly.

It's pretty easy to do. You can press them out & back in easy enough. You have to remove the clips, obviously and then use a couple of sockets and a vise. I sprayed mine with Deep Creep penetrating oil.

Some simply use a BFH but I like using a vise...more precise and you can watch it to make sure it's going together properly.

That, or if you have access to a shop press, that's the easiest way, that is how I did mine. Whatever way you want will work.

I've always used a BFH to take the junk ones out as not to deform the yolk, as a press can easily mis-align them. The shock from a hammer and drift pin will pop the old one right out. Pressing the new ones in is best though so you do not drop any needle bearings, good sticky wheel bearing grease will help them all stay put while you gently reassemble the u-joint. if it doesn't seat all the way easily be careful a needle could have tipped over in the bearing cap. just gently press back apart and rearrange the needles and try again.

She is a fixed guys. Thanks for all the info. Had to take the axle to a shop to get the old u-joint out did the rest myself. I could not get the joint to come out no matter how I tried. I even tried by putting a soket around the pushed out side and one on the top with a 2 ton jack under the front of my truck(1 ton ford 350 diesel dually extended frame crew cab) and was able to pick up the front of the truck off of the ground and it would not go. Shop said they had out and in in 15 minutes. No charge either. popped them a 20 for slushi's as it was hot here. Already took her four whelling to ensure she works good. No noise or binding any more.:D:D

Back