Whine sound when clutch in

PEI_TJ

I have a 2006 TJ 4L 6 speed. When I put the clutch to the floor sometimes I get a whine sound. Its not always there. From what I've read it may be the throw out bearing? Now my question is. Should I run right out and get it repaired,or will it last for some time days/weeks or months??? And will it get to the point of suddenly find myself stuck on the side of the road broken down. Or am I going to have more warnings (louder more often or other sounds etc)
Thanks in advance
GW

My throw out bearing has been whining for almost a decade, but in that time, I have also only put about 500 miles on the jeep. I would get it done when you can, but it is not a critical thing to be done ASAP.

...........And will it get to the point of suddenly find myself stuck on the side of the road broken down.......

Well, if that should happen, you're not really stuck. You CAN drive a stick shift without the clutch. Starting from a dead stop is the worst....starter does the work. But in an emergency, you can shift up and down using the RPM's without the clutch (been there, done that). You should practice it sometime!!

As to your noise, I'm at 160K on the factory clutch and it's making all kinds of racket....I know my time is coming soon. But clutches will usually let you know when they're going - slipping, chattering, won't hold on a hill with the engine off, etc. And, yes, they will let you know with the noise. Hope that helps somewhat.

My throwout bearing went out about a year ago. It's not a crazy hard fix, but definitely requires some knowhow and tools. And it's not a RIGHT now thing, but I'd get it done sooner rather than later

Agree, it's probably the throwout bearing but on a 2006 it shouldn't be worn out yet. Possibly there is some dirt in it causing the noise and it will work its way out. It happened on my son's Mustang that way.

Back