Can't find decent wiper blades

tvdan1043

This may seem like an odd question but I've contacted wiper blade manufacturers about this and have gotten the stock "thanks for your input, here's some spam" responses, but nobody's been able to answer this:

Why can't I find anything but the el-cheapo, wears-out-in-5-weeks wiper blades in the 13" size? Most "premium", or even just "mid-range" wipers I've found bottom out at 16".

Do any of you have any recommendations for good 13" wiper blades that actually last the whole 6-month recommended interval, and don't start stuttering after the second thunderstorm?

I'm not sure I can vouch for "Thunderstorm" status since I live in Southern Calif. But I have the 11" Pylon brand on my Jeep and they work fine. I think Silblade might make a blade for your TJ that would be a "Premium" blade.

Good Luck

mine are 11 and 12" depending on what i can find. but they are the avco bottom of the line blue and yellow 7 dollar ones

We sell Rain-x wiper blades at my work, and I've had a pair on my Jeep for almost two years now, and they still work great.

I've never really noticed a problem with the blades themselves. I've gone through blades from Bosch, Trico, Anco, Rain-X, and PIAA. They all work great when new and I guess the more expensive models probably do last a bit longer. However, what seems to be the main culprit, even with new wiper arms installed, is a lack of tension to keep the blade edge firmly against the glass.

I have not tried either of these products but they look like they might do the trick. I think I'll probably order the Sure-Wipe things from 4 Wheel Parts first and see how they work.

Snuggies - Jeep Windshield Wiper Arm Tensioner

Sure Wipe Wiper Arm Tensioner - Windshield Wipers and Refills - Windshield Wipers and Refills - Exterior Parts and Accessories - by 4 Wheel Parts

I have Rain X.Dont remember the size.I have had them for 2 years and just starting to have problems now.

Keep in mind that any blade will get dirty between showers. When you first turn them on after not being used for awhile they will streak until they get clean.

I've never really noticed a problem with the blades themselves. I've gone through blades from Bosch, Trico, Anco, Rain-X, and PIAA. They all work great when new and I guess the more expensive models probably do last a bit longer. However, what seems to be the main culprit, even with new wiper arms installed, is a lack of tension to keep the blade edge firmly against the glass.

I have not tried either of these products but they look like they might do the trick. I think I'll probably order the Sure-Wipe things from 4 Wheel Parts first and see how they work.

Snuggies - Jeep Windshield Wiper Arm Tensioner

Sure Wipe Wiper Arm Tensioner - Windshield Wipers and Refills - Windshield Wipers and Refills - Exterior Parts and Accessories - by 4 Wheel Parts

I got a pair of Sure Wipes from 4wd Hardware, they work well. Agree, I think the tension is the problem more than the blades themselves.

For the glass, since it is fairly upright it's going to catch a lot of bugs even with a Bugflector (I have one). Scrub the glass with Bon Ami cleanser, it is the only one that won't scratch the glass. That will get the grit and bugs off. Rinse it, dry it, then give it two coats of Rain-X.

Back