Stumped

floridajeeper11

1997 TJ

Poured down rain before I could get the doors on and won't start since then.

I know there are a lot of reasons this could be I'm wondering if anyone has basic trouble shooting areas I could start at I'm assuming its electrical.

I checked the battery and it tested strong.

When I turn the key I get basically nothing, no lights, no sound.

On a rare occasion (twice now) I get electricity in the ignition but only once did it start and the other time lights and sound but didn't start.

I've tested and checked related fuses and they seem fine. But I'm going to double check that today.

If I jump the battery from another vehicle I still get no response in the ignition, no lights no sounds.

I've been trying to read around for related posts, if someone has had the same problem and questions were answered I'd be happy to get linked to it.

Thanks for reading and responses.

Mike

let it sit for 24 hrs. I had this problem once. I let my 82 cj7 sit overnight and dry out as much as possible and turne over first try

One of the most critical areas on a TJ and current JK's is the Instrument panel. Both of them are susceptible with water intrusions. The fact that the instrument cluster is an electrical component, it's also a part of the communications network. If it fails to communicate, there will be no a "No Bus" from the instrument cluster therefore, the PCM has no information from all of its inputs such as ignition, and sensors. Another critical area is the column. It houses several key components that enables and disables ignition other than the mechanical switch in the ignition system. The skim module is located on the steering column, clockspring that houses the circuits for the airbag module ,A.K.A squibb. Try to run a compressed air around these areas and maybe you'll get lucky and get it started.

Damn, Mikey! It's almost as though Chrysler wants these to fail, especially here in the PacNW. Once again, I'm glad 'Betty' is an old school Jeep.

For the amount of time and research I put into it (which wasnt too much over holiday weekend). The only thing I was able to accomplish over the weekend was changing out the ignition switch. The only positive difference is when hooked up cables to another vehicle battery now I get juice but it's still not turning over. I'm hearing get the starter tested just to make sure it's good.

Are you able to pull any codes from the computer? I'd start there.

Are you able to turn on the Jeep's accessories (radio, gauges, etc)?

If, like Mikey hinted at, it's the instrument cluster, it looks like there are a bunch of them on ebay, starting at $50
wrangler cluster 97 -trim | eBay

Try pulling out and pushing back in relays . It doesn't take much other than a speck of dust sometimes to mess with 12 volt electrical . Just the scraping of the contacts by unplugging and replugging can fix a non functional circuit .

Back