First Post!! Need some help!

DannyBlaze

Allright, this is my first post and is kind of an urgent request.... :-D
I got my transmission rebuilt .. i guess its the AX-5 (i might be confusing mysefl with AX-15, anyways u guys will know) since i got the 4 bagner... I had the transmission mount replaced but he put some random bolts he found cuz I didnt have the transmission mount bolts....

The bolts worked for a while, but yesterday, i noticed i couldnt get my transmission in 5th and reverse...sorta lick if the transmission had shifted a bit to the right and the shifter now was touching the side of the whole in the floor...I can get it in, but it takes alot of effort...
Then...somtimes my transmission come back to ints original position..Iknow this because all my other gears see me have moved a bit to the right.

I havnt checked yet under the jeep...(snow and cold here in canada...parents buick in my garage.... :-x ) but im pretty shrue that is the problem.... Does somebody know the dimensions of the bolts i need so i could go buy come at canadian tire or the hardware store????...or where i could get this information...Would the bolts be available at the dealer?? :-? (anyawys the dealer is closed during the week end and I was hoping to get this fixed now...

Thanks alot for all your help!!

Dan [addsig]

blaze on, and id say they messed something up, who did the work? wait for ray and BBJ to come along, ray just did some stuff with his transmission and as i recall black jeep slid his sideways and moved things around a little. so just give them a litlte time and they'll post, oh and it could be a clutch issue, my friend coult barely get his Z28 camaro into first for reverse after pulling his transmission due to a self calibrating clutch or something? he just drove it and eventually it loosened up.

edited by: jeepmaster, Mar 09, 2003 - 12:04 PM[addsig]

Thanks Master for replying so quick!!
Well the thing is that...when it goes back in the correct position, the transmission worksd great...im jsut hoping its those damn bolts...i cant afford anythign else!!!haha

ill wait for the boy's and see what that think!!

Thanks dude!!!
:-D [addsig]

damn it moves back and forth? thats no good, yea its gotta be the bolts. what kinda wrangler you got?
[addsig]

1993 jeep wranger (YJ) 2.5L 5 speed...

has 130 000km wich is really decent millage!!
just got the transmission rebuilt..sio im pretty shure its not an internal transmission problem..im pretty shure its with the installation...

anything else u wanna know?? :-? [addsig]

You could always cut the tub a bit to enable the gears to engage....i did this to solve my shifting problem after my lift and t-case drop...however you should prolly try replace the three bolts that hold your t-case to the skid plate.....2 nuts and one tourque bolt out to the farleft....what part of Canada are you from...i reside in New Brunswick...chris :-D :-D [addsig]

I am going to say that the bolt that secures the transmission to the skid plate is not in position... or maybe not even there. There should be a small bolt coming down from your transmission through your skid plate... if its not there... you'll have to put one in. you don't want to use a strong one... maybe a grade 2 bolt... this is what keeps your transmission in the center of your jeep... if it is missing, it can allow your transmission to slide over... the reason you should use a weak bolt is because it is intended to break under stress before something else goes. in order to prevent this.. you can strap your transmission so its secured in the center.

If that bolt is there, straight, and in good condition... then you should look at your motor mounts. if one is damaged.. your whole driveline will twist[addsig]

COOL! thanks for all ur help...so basicly that what i tought...the bolts..anybody has any idea of the dimensions ????
Ill probably have to go to the dealer anyways...unless i have the dimensions then i could buy something at a hardware store....

im from quebec ... Aylmer to be precise..rigth next to Ottawa! :-D

Thanks again[addsig]

Well first of all the type of jeep you have and year would help some. On my 95YJ the transmission mount is secured to the skid plate with 2 nuts. The mount has studs in it that are not removable and they extend down through the skid plate.

The mount is held on the transmission by 2 bolts. These are probably the ones that are missing/loose. Because the transmission case is aluminum these are REALLY easy to strip out. If they are overtightened they will strip. I think the bolts are 1/2 in diameter but not sure about that.

The only way to tell for sure is to put a jackstand under the transmission and then put a jack under the skid. Then remove the trans mount nuts and the other little one and then the skid bolts themselves (there are six). Then slowly lower the skid and remove it. Then you can inspect the mount bolts themselves and replace if necessary. If they are stripped you might could tap the hole for a larger bolt, if not the transmission will need a new rear case half.[addsig]

Back