76 body tub on 75 frame

cornhusker66

Will a 76 cj5 body tub fit on my 75 cj5 frame? I know the windshield frames are different, but if I use my 75 frame-windshield, will everything else work for me.

Will this also work with my new softop?

I found this body tub to rebuild and I am hoping to pull this off without having to get a new tub.

If this won't work, why, what is different?

Thanks!

i know the windshields will change if you use the correct hinges for windshield. somebody put a 74 fiberglass cj-5 tub on my jeep with a 76 and later frame but i am switching the body back to a used steel 76 and newer tub i have the old 74 frame mocked up on the 76 tub to see if the hardtop will line up and it looks good i think if you use your old frame that your top may work.

A CJ-7 body tub will not fit on a CJ-5 frame. The wheelbase is longer on a CJ-7. I am sure you could find a trade somewhere to go one way or the other. A new Heavy CJ-7 frame might run $1600 but I think that would be the way to go.

i know the windshields will change if you use the correct hinges for windshield. somebody put a 74 fiberglass cj-5 tub on my jeep with a 76 and later frame but i am switching the body back to a used steel 76 and newer tub i have the old 74 frame mocked up on the 76 tub to see if the hardtop will line up and it looks good i think if you use your old frame that your top may work.

The "76 CJ5 tub will fit on the "75 CJ5 frame,HOWEVER the floors are different. The "76 has no toolbox under the passenger seat & the seats mount differently.
The swap can be done but there are quite a few differences....The frames are different so you will probably have to change your mounting points(at least some of them)...your steering shaft goes thru the body at a lower point on the "75 than the "76...etc...
I would suggest you take a really close look at the "76 tub & make a list of details that are different & then decide if you can/want do the swap.
Good luck & let us know what yoy decide.

I guess I misread the post. I saw CJ-7. Yes the tub should "fit" but you will need to adapt. Didn't Jeep widen the axle in 76 also? I know they added 4 in to the front fenders in 76 to make room for the new power train.

Will a 76 cj5 body tub fit on my 75 cj5 frame? I know the windshield frames are different, but if I use my 75 frame-windshield, will everything else work for me.

Will this also work with my new softop?

I found this body tub to rebuild and I am hoping to pull this off without having to get a new tub.

If this won't work, why, what is different?

Thanks!

Thanks for all of your replies guys!

I am just going to hold off and get a new tub next year. This tub makes me wonder what it actually is. The floors have been replaced with just sheetmetal and angle iron. It has no toolbox under the seat. Hell even some of the frame mounts are not connected to the body.

The bottom line is that someone really just did a HACK job!

I am in the autobody trade and I was looking for a used tub that I could restore then go ahead and swap it out with the old one.

Just looking to save some downtime by tearing it all apart and then doing all sheetmetal work. This is the wifes jeep and she is in it all of the time.

Thanks again!

Back