Best thread for building a roof rack on wrangler

jeepofino

I know there's probably a bunch on here but can someone tell me where to find a good thread for building a roof rack to carry a kayak. I have an 03 wrangler. Thanks.

When we were in upstate NY, we went to the Kayak Shack in Plattsburg and there was a lady there with a Wrangler fitted with swimming pool "noodles" affixed across the windshield frame and across the "sport bar" in the back and nothing else. Of course, I failed to get a picture, but she said they worked great. I've made up a couple for mudwoman's YJ, but we've yet to try them out. I don't know if I'd use them for a "long haul", but it seems to me they'll work for local put-in/take-out trips. Just a thought, if you're only talkin' about haulin' your boat. I have a Top-Five rack on my '03 TJ and it has served me/is serving me well. With this rack, you can still raise and lower (or remove) the top without removing the rack. I believe it was in the neighborhood of $500 when I bought it in '03........don't even know if they make them anymore. But if you're good with a welder and metal fabrication, you could make one pretty easily. Just 2 brackets that bolt to the bumper mounts in the rear, and 2 brackets that bolt to the windshield hinges and the rest is just tubing. Good luck! Kayaks don't weight that much so it wouldn't have to be real beefy - if that's all you need it for.

Last edited:

Hey, I actually just had this problem myself and with a little shopping found a great fitting rack that holds my 15' sea kayak like a dream on my 99 TJ!

I went to a scrap yard and found a 94 Ford explorer sport, and the rack is a perfect fit, line it up, drill the holes In the hard top, sealant, bolts, nuts, and fender washers...45min later load up your kayak and away you go!

Back