Engine upgrade

Quite Happy

OK, I enjoy my 4-banger, but I think at some time in the future I'm going to find an 8-cylinder motor to upgrade to. I don't like slowing down to 50 on the uphill grades out of my town, and I'm getting the "I want more power" bug. Plus, as this project advances, I want to put 35's or 36's on the ground, and the 2.5 just isn't the motor to do that. I'm in a 1985 CJ7, 4-speed transmission (T-4). I want to put a small, fuel-injected V-8 newer than a 1985. I'm in California, so I want to be smog legal. Anybody out there done this? Any suggestions for which motor I need to be looking for in the local salvage yards? I would love to find a motor that bolts right up, but I realize that's a pipe dream. I don't need major hp, just stock V-8 power would be fine (for now, anyway). I don't do any serious offroading, and I realize I'll be upgrading other drivetrain components as they fail due to the greater horsepower of the V-8, but I'm taking this one step at a time.

Suggestions?

Hit Novak adaptors web site, they have a great store of information on V8 swaps.

Back