'77 CJ Restoration Project

madmax91

Hello avid Jeep enthusiasts. I've always loved/wanted a Jeep ever since my first ride in my uncle's '90 Jeep Wrangler. Now, I have the opportunity to buy a 1977 Jeep CJ for dirt cheap ($500), but it needs some serious restoration work. The owner says it runs with a leak at the base of the carb. The only problem is I have pretty much 0 experience with the workings of vehicles, besides how to drive them. I'm willing to put a lot of time, effort and money into this if I can, but I'm going to need lots of help getting through it. I just don't want to pass up this fantastic oppurtunity to be a part of the Jeep history. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• jeepcj77.jpeg
    jeepcj77.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,131

Good luck, some advice to get you started. Buy a chilton or haynes manual first these will explain how most things on the jeep work and how to repair or replace most parts. Decide first what u want the jeep to look like when ur done then get started. Have fun!

I think I've decided I want it to first look as close to the original as possible, but make some changes to the engine to give it a little more give, and possible make it a little easier to run. Not only that, but it would more likely be harder to find the original parts in good condition.

Well Josue, how about you give me some help with the restore, and I might sell it to you at the end. I'm going to need all the help I can get with this one. The sad part is I might have to replace the tub entirely.

If it comes with a title $500 CDN is a smoking deal even if you only use it for parts. Without a title I would still try to pick it up if not a total rust bucket.

I was going to comment I would pass on it because it is going to need huge amounts of work, from the looks of the pic. Unless you have another primary mode of transportation and this is a play toy/ educational restoration

Sent from my iPod touch using Jeepz

Any Jeep is a good place to learn and build. I would suggest at least initially putting the most effort, time and money into the mechanical aspects (engine, drive train, brakes, etc.). In other words get it running and functional for whatever you intend to do with it. Your newly learned mechanical skills will come in handy later I assure you.

After that I would suggest working on the cosmetics and comfort. A lot of folks start with wanting to make the Jeep look good, and never seem to get it running right.

Fireman's suggestion about getting a good Chilton and/or Haynes manual specific to your CJ7 is highly recommended.

Most of all have fun and welcome to the often crazy world of Jeeps.

Thanks for the help everyone. It is just a project car, I have anothedr vehicle so it's not a big deal if the jeep is on the blocks for a few days or more. From what the seller has said, it does run, it's just rough.

Back