Above axle steering

TristateJeep

I have a spring over axle set up on my CJ-7. It works very well for the trails I use it on. I am wanting to move the steering arms to the top of the knuckles to get the tie rods up out of the way of rocks and other obstacles.
My one concern is how safe are these set ups? This puts more stress on the bolts that hold these arms onto the knuckles. On the trail this would be a pain in the butt if the bolts broke. On the road this could be very dangerous.
What do you think? Are the bolts strong enough to handle the extra stress? Should they be replaced every year, 2years,or when?

What axle and knuckles do you plan on using? You can not mount high-steer arms on just any steering knuckle.

The 3bolt setup commonly used to attache steering arms to flat-top knuckles is a strong setup, been beating on mine for years.

What axle and knuckles do you plan on using? You can not mount high-steer arms on just any steering knuckle.

The 3bolt setup commonly used to attache steering arms to flat-top knuckles is a strong setup, been beating on mine for years.

I have the knuckles from a chevy with the extra pad for the 3 bolts. I have seen the bolts break on at least one and have heard of another that broke after about 5 years. Just wondering if there have been more that have failed. I really like the arms from Harsh Terrain that move the tie rod behind the axle as well as above it.

Back