S A Timing Chain

flatie46

I'm going to replace the timing chain set in my 304. I had read alot of good stuff about Cloyes brand, particularly from the AMC crowd. I had read that the 304 doesn't oil real well in the timing chain area and that a good dual true roller chain would help. I was in Autozone buying oil, and I happen to ask them if they carried Cloyes. The guy said most all of the Duralast sets were made by Cloyes. So I ordered a set, when I got it it was made by a company called S A and suposed to be made in the U.S.A. Has anybody used this brand? I'm tempted to take it back and go get what I set out to get.

Funny you should mention that because Cloyes gears are made right here where I live. in fact my dad worked there for over 20 years as cheif of inspection. Im not sure who all they make parts for but I could find out tomorrow.

Funny you should mention that because Cloyes gears are made right here where I live. in fact my dad worked there for over 20 years as cheif of inspection. Im not sure who all they make parts for but I could find out tomorrow.
The guy at Autozone showed me several sets that had a Duralast box but Cloyes gear sets inside. Just my luck though they didn't have the one I needed in stock and the one I got when they ordered it wasn't Cloyes. I usually just buy oil an filters at the zone cause in the past when I've bought parts there I've usually ended up disapointed. Guess that still holds true. Cloyes has a good reputation, your dad can be proud that he had a hand in that. The Cloyes set from my local hot rod shop is $35.00 more. I better just pay the extra, quality usually does cost more.

Thanks Flatie.
My dad was always proud of what he accomplished at Cloyes gear. I have his 20 year watch they gave him. He was a great guy! I love him and miss him so much.

Thanks Flatie.
My dad was always proud of what he accomplished at Cloyes gear. I have his 20 year watch they gave him. He was a great guy! I love him and miss him so much.
Oh man I'm sorry, I didn't know. My dad passed away when I was 10, I know how ya feel. I try to do as much with my younguns as I can. My darned job takes alot of my time and energy but I'm thankful to have one in these times.

I run a dual roller cloyes in my 400 pontiac, I got mine from summit or jegs, I order from both far too often. The only way I buy from Autozone is if the part has a life time warranty, or it is clearly not an autozone part. I have had the worse luck with their "duralast" parts.

I run a dual roller cloyes in my 400 pontiac, I got mine from summit or jegs, I order from both far too often. The only way I buy from Autozone is if the part has a life time warranty, or it is clearly not an autozone part. I have had the worse luck with their "duralast" parts.
I just took the S A timing set back for refund and ordered the Cloyes set. I saw it in Summit but I ordered it thru a local hot rod shop that deals in performance parts. I like like to support the local independant guys when I can. One thing about the independant shops, if they are getting substandard parts from a distributor they can opt for something else or anthor distributor. Auto Zone and the others have to sell what they're sent. If it's junk and they know it they don't have a choice but to sell it. I guess I'll go take this thing apart.

I too try to support the local people too. Plus the sales tax goes to the local schools and here in Arkansas they need all the help they can get. I saw an elementary teacher this year buying supplies and she said it was comming out of her pocket. So you buying a Cloyes set Made in America your helping out my community too.... Thanks!!

I've had alot going on in the last few weeks but I finally got my new Cloyes dual "true roller" timing chain and gear set in. Also rebuilt the oil pump, pulled oil pan replaced mains and gaskets. After driving it a bit all I can say is I am amazed. I don't know how much power it gained but it was quite a bit for the cash I spent. Keep in mind my time chain was severely worn, 20 degrees slack. I think the book says they're wore out when they have 5-7 degrees slack. The engine runs so much smoother and is very responsive. Oil pressure has increased to 20-25 when hot at idle but that is with a quart of lucas in it. When I rev it, it jumps to 45-50. Gonna check fuel mileage this week, I'm sure it's up. Yep, I'm a happy boy!

Back