the jeep tick,tick,tick.

Gennybro

Was talking to some one last night about the tick noise that the jeeps make as they get older, his response was that it is caused by a cracked manifold. Any opinions on that.

i can vouch for the manifold issue it is pretty common,
ex. the ford 302ci as soon as u drive it off the lot it will have a tick in the exaust caused by a pin hole in the manifold, i would assume jeeps will eventually do the same.
myself i put a header on my jeep so dont have that issue...yet
a way to check is spray soapy water on the manifold (when its cold) and look for bubbles when u start it up
if not i would check lifters and such
hope it helps

gennybro said:
Was talking to some one last night about the tick noise that the jeeps make as they get older, his response was that it is caused by a cracked manifold. Any opinions on that.

Intake or exhaust manifold? If its intake just spray it with starting fluid and listen for an increase in idle. That's will tell u if there any leaks. I don't know any tricks for the exhaust expect for the one mentioned above

Most early 90 models exhaust manifolds did have a problem in the collector tubes welds. This problem was most prevalent in the 4.2 and the 4.0L factory exhaust. I haven't found any Electronic Service bulletin on 2.5L exhaust leaks but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I do know of only 1 97 2.5L that has that tick.

On my 2002, the tick, tick, tick occurs when the AC is on. The tick is coming from a relay that cycles the AC on and off at idle.

Utah_jeepster said:
Most early 90 models exhaust manifolds did have a problem in the collector tubes welds. This problem was most prevalent in the 4.2 and the 4.0L factory exhaust. I haven't found any Electronic Service bulletin on 2.5L exhaust leaks but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I do know of only 1 97 2.5L that has that tick.

Ya my 97tj with the 2.5 had a crack in the manifold It Was just really loud and sounded kind of bad but there are very lax Emission laws in Nebraska so I drove it like that for like a year and finnaly paid 400 for it to get fixed

The most common tick for your year and engine is broken exhaust manifold studs, the front stud and the rear stud commonly break. Inspect the exhaust manifold and you'll likely see holes where the manifold studs should be.

If your tick is noisy lifters, try adding a half quart of ATF to the engine oil.

Back