Axle question

clydethepirate

I'm sure this Has been ask many times before but I have looked through old posts and can't really find anything.
Got hung up today in a ditch! a dry ditch!!
I had one front wheel on the gound and both back wheels on the ground but I couldnt move, I could only spin one back tire. I know only one back wheel drives but I was under the impression that both front should pull in four wheel drive.
Am I wrong?
What do I have to do to make it a true 4X4?

You need to get lockers bc without them the tire with the least traction will get all the power.

The CAD, Central Axle Disconnect, system in the front axle is not working. It's a vacuum actuated shift collar that locks two axleshafts together on the passenger side. With out it engaged in 4wd, all the power to the front axle goes to the disconnected side of the axle.

Pull the two vacuum lines from the front axle and feel for strong vacuum to alternate between the two lines depending on if you're in 2wd or 4wd.

If you get lockers front and rear all 4 tires will rotate together.

So this CAD is what actually locks it when when I shift into four wheel drive?
but with that working properly I would still need a locker to make both front wheels drive correct? I would leave the read like it is for highway travel.

Ok, I just checked..... it is going into four wheel drive. You can hear it "click" and the light comes on but its slow, it takes a few seconds.

Allright....... figuring this out. Sorry I'm new to 4X4's. Any advice on the 4X4 Posi-lock? it runs around $ 215.00 and they also carry a Perm-Lock for another $80 or so.

clydethepirate said:
Allright....... figuring this out. Sorry I'm new to 4X4's. Any advice on the 4X4 Posi-lock? it runs around $ 215.00 and they also carry a Perm-Lock for another $80 or so.

Probably want just the posi-lock... Unless your jeep is strictly used off-road .....

just get an axle shaft for a jeep that doesnt have the cursed CAD swap it in and you will be good to go. Lockers are the only way to get both wheels to spin .

Detroit true track, it doesn't wear out like a posi will, and does not have poor manners like a locker.

Back