Aftermarket shifter for 2005 TJ

Bellcity badboy

I just installed (along with a few buddies and some ice cold Miller Lite) a 6" Rough Country long arm on my 05 Rubicon. Now in 2nd, 4th, & reverse it hits my center console..... I'd like to NOT cut my console.... Ideas please??? I've thought about bending the stock shifter but would like an aftermarket if available......

I've seen peeps move the center console back a little and re-mount it instead of cutting the edge of the shifter box. I dont know how tacky it would look though with the gap you'll have beween the dash and console.

If your transfer case drop kit lowers the transfer case more towards the rear, look for a kit with equal length spacers to keep the transfer case more level.

Also consider installing a CV rear driveshaft, then you can lose the transfer case drop that is causing the problem.

I have no idea.

Why not install a CV rear driveshaft and remove the TC drop for more ground clearance and fix the shifting issue?

Funny thing, my old black panel van "Easy Bake" had a 3+1 Rug/Rab standard transmission with the stick coming out of the floor like a pickup truck. Had a 3' long stick for wasy reach but when the shifter linkage went kaput, I grafted on a Hurst Competition Plus shifter. The handle was too low for comfot in my van but noting the thread pitch on the stick, I threaded on a tap handle of one of my favorite German biers.
5801348017_5c514bee00_b-1.jpg

It drops the transmission just enough for me to have this little issue. I can live with it but I thought a new shifter might be cool.

I have that same lift on my 04 rubicon. But I also have a 1 in body lift so the problem is even worse. The shifter is very low. I have been looking for an after market shifted to fix the issue with no luck. For now I have just removed the boot around the shifter and it doesn't hit.

I dont know how you get away with a 6" lift and not a SYE to begin with, but thats what you need, seriously, get the trans/trans back up under the body where it belongs, about the easiest way to do this in your case is to do the 1.25" bodlylift so you can do the 1" motor mount lift. I am a huge fan of RC, they have everything you need.

When you start getting above 3 or 4 inches of lift, you cant just throw the lift kit on it and call it done, and at 6" I seriously hope you are also paying extremely close attention to your trac-bar / draglink angles as well, if not, your about to have an accident.

I would also recomend you reading the "tech info" section of http://tomwoodscustomdrivelines.com/

edit: after looking at the kit I'm glad to see the drop pitman arm and drop trac-bar, but seriously you need the SYE, you can get them on e-bay complete with driveline for about $410, its an Advanced Adapters SYE kit and a custom CV shaft made by a place in SLC thats very good, but you need to contact them ahead of ordering to let them know your on a 6" lift.

Last edited:

To answer your question, all of the aftermarket shifters I have seen for TJ's are for the '97-04 (i.e. 5 speed) gearboxes. I have yet to see any offered for '05-06 (i.e. 6 speed) boxes. I honestly don't know how much difference there is between the 5 speed and 6 speed shifters, so I don't know if it would be possible to buy one from Hurst or whoever for the '97-04 and modify it to work or not.

Back