problem must be the starter... but why/how

Branjmb

since i installed my new engine i've had the (stock but brand-new) starter do something weird. For a while i suspected it was the thing making a high pitched clicking noise (very fast, like it kept spinning)... but i didn't do anything. Then one day my car didn't start. so I turned in the brand new starter under warranty for another. The clicking is happening again usually and mostly while idling after starting the engine.

Is it coming loose? I tested that and it didn't seem to be the case last time.
If it's just the stock starter's quirk, should i just shoot for a higher quality AM brand?

thanks!

1992 YJ 2.5L

is your starter stuck on the flywheel and running the whole time?

it happens sometimes

yes I suspect it's running the whole time. I'll have to check that out.

Any idea how to fix that? Or is it just something that will happen? Because there does not seem to be much room for adjusting.

I wouldnt go with a aftermarket starter yet. I would start with the starter to make sure it is installed correctly. Did you have any washers or shims from the old one? If so did you use them or not? But it actually sounds like the starter is running after you shut off the key. Is there voltage going to the starter while the engine is running making it spin? Is there some wires that are worn and making contact giving voltage to make the starter spin? Hope this helps, John

I wouldnt go with a aftermarket starter yet. I would start with the starter to make sure it is installed correctly. Did you have any washers or shims from the old one? If so did you use them or not? But it actually sounds like the starter is running after you shut off the key. Is there voltage going to the starter while the engine is running making it spin? Is there some wires that are worn and making contact giving voltage to make the starter spin? Hope this helps, John

it's possible! I'm gonna have to take a closer look, but i thought all my wires were good. I didn't have any left over hardware after installing it though, so that's somewhat a good sign.

yup. that could be possible too. the starter catching the flywheel and being run by the engine is usually from shims missing or a wrong flywheel or starter being used. sometimes the gear doesn;t return all the way into the housing though and can also cause the flywheel to catch the starter.

i would check the easy stuff first, power to the starter solenoid when the key is not engaged in the start setting

Back