oil filters

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
Jester got me thinking and I did a little research, I will admit that I have turned a blind eye to this topic. I have been using fram filters ever since I got my liscense and that was probably before some of you folks were born.

#!

I will no longer purchase fram filters, it appears that they have became mass produced POS. I am leaning towards the WIX

damn work computers. i wish i could see what you posted

Fram was the main name in filters when I was growing up, but they've got a pretty bad reputation these days. I was in Advance Auto Parts yesterday buying some oil, and there was a deal on some Bosch filters. I asked the parts guy about them and he said they're good, and went on to say just about any make filter will be fine, just steer clear of fram.

that is the common consensus now days. i hear the same thing on the bmw sites and at the local autocross

Long ago I switched to a 2-quart Donaldson, Part Number P550299. One of the "better" filters available with almost 4 times the capacity over OEM.

A very informative article compiled by a genuine smart guy (and I mean Damon really knows his stuff, no B/S included, just straight truth), check out our article on Rubicon Owner's Forum...Rubicon Owners Forum - View topic - Oil filters

Use the search feature for "Oil Filters" and you will find we've pretty well beat this horse to death. Lottsa good info.

wow, didn't know that about FRAM... I do now.. so WIX, where do you buy those? I've never heard of that brand... Usually see STP, FRAM, NAPA, but don't recall ever seeing WIX? thanks for the heads up, guess I'll have to change the one on the 96, I think I just put a FRAM on it.. bummer..

My last oil change, didn't feel like driving all the way to the auto parts store, so I bought a Mopar oil filter from Walmart. Are the Mopar filters ok?

wow, didn't know that about FRAM... I do now.. so WIX, where do you buy those? I've never heard of that brand... Usually see STP, FRAM, NAPA, but don't recall ever seeing WIX? thanks for the heads up, guess I'll have to change the one on the 96, I think I just put a FRAM on it.. bummer..

image-missing.png

Part Detail

Here in San Diego I can get these at
siteLogo_orly-1.gif

All i run is mopar. Even though they don't have the thickest case. The filter media is one of the better ones. And holds up well to even the worst oils

So I am confused, the oil filter did it's job and when there was too much junk in it it may have by-passed and or collapsed or both. The person on the video said he ran it in 2 engines, how many hours in each. Under the same circumstances how did other filters hold up for him? I am not defending Fram I just want to know more. I think the next time I change oil I will cut my filter open and see if it did it's job. I may use a few different filters and check over a period of time.

A Fram won't necessarily blow up your engine but there are better quality filters for the same money (Mopar, Purolator) or less (Wal-Mart Supertech). You have to step up to the Fram ToughGuard to get a decent filter from them but then your spending more than other good filters cost.

There is an independent auto parts store near me that sells WIX. NAPA stores are more common and a NAPA Gold filter is a relabeled WIX. Just make sure you get the Gold and not the Silver, which is okay, but not as good.

My last oil change, didn't feel like driving all the way to the auto parts store, so I bought a Mopar oil filter from Walmart. Are the Mopar filters ok?
You never go wrong with OE.

Best filters for the money:
Mopar, WIX, NAPA Gold, Purolator Pure ONE

Best filters:
Mobil 1, K&N. Thicker can, synthetic media, last longer, cost a lot.

Last edited:
great, I have an O'Reilly near by, NAPA for some reason doesn't have a store on this side of town, you have to drive 15 miles in the worst traffic and through some nasty areas to get to it, so I use O'Reilly, Charleston AutoParts, or my dealer (which I hate to do because they rape you with the $$$)..... thanks..

Back