U Joint help

bedrocks

I have a 95 YJ that has blown 3 U joints in the past month ... no noise or warnings ... they just come apart... I believe I am putting them in correctly but now I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or have an issue elsewhere that may be causing the problem.... I have been driving it on the road mostly... not harsh conditions at all. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...... Thanks

there are at least 6 u-joints on your Jeep, which one did you have in mind ?

Is your YJ lifted? If so, how much?

It has a 2" shackle lift .... put on 2 years ago. It is the U joint connecting to the rear differential.

I was thinking the lift was a factor, but since it was working fine for the past 2 years I figured it was something else.

Thanks

have you checked for any play at all in your pinion, like using a pry bar and gently trying to move the pinion and watching for play ?

Also measure your driveline angles. Make sure they are ok

Attachments

• image-3512233121.png
    image-3512233121.png
    211.8 KB · Views: 5,537

Don't use cheap u joints. I always run the non greasable spicers. Way stronger. Than greasable units.

It's possible to install them incorrectly when it's difficult to rotate the ujoint by hand after installation. If the ujoint feels stiff after installation of the retaining clips, tap outward on the ears of the yoke to loosen the ujoint caps slightly for proper operation.

Thanks for all of the information ... I will try a higher quality U joint and test the other suggestions you made ...

Thanks again for all of your help.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions ... I believe I have the problem corrected. I first bought a higher quality U Joint and 2nd, since this jeep is driven by my son (high school senior ) I had him replace the U joint with my guidance.... I needed to watch him a little closer though, he did not have the new U joint seated properly in the yolk on the rear differential and that is why they kept coming apart.... The new one is working great, and it was a lesson well learned and it didn't cost much to teach my son how to do a little work on his jeep...

make sure the front and rear u joints of that shaft are in phase.... meaning the yokes of the shaft and the yokes of the diff and transfer case is the same (not sure if it is possible to make it out of phase ) on some shafts the yokes are removable just make sure they are the same you should be good in that department

Back