Franken yj

bignasty1987yj

I am building a 1987 yj wrangler into a 302 ford powered 5 speed beast.

This is how the project took shape:

Bought a 1987 jeep wrangler yj. I drove it home under it's own power but had to push it off due to a bad flywheel ring gear. The body was in good shape but i later found a rear main was leaking bad. I pulled transmission, transfer case and after a struggle, the bellhousing and flywheel. Pulled the oil pan and "what a mess". Pieces of the plastic timing gears all throughout the oil pan, the rear main bearing was just before` spinning, the #6 rod bearing was down to the copper.

So much for the current drive train. I pulled a 302 out of my shop that was in a fox body mustang and pondered a conversion. I built this engine about 5 years ago and did not spare any expense. It is a wild aluminum headed roller cam 302. So i figured if i could find a trans and transfer case i would be in business. I got a 5 speed and related parts out of a 1989 full size bronco. I got an explorer rear end with 4.10 gear.

It seems that this may be a good choice for a conversion. There is only a few issues that i have not studied yet. The hydro clutch set up, the drive shafts and motor mounts. I know that there are lots of 302 motor mounts available but non like i want so i will probably make some. The jeep radiator configuration is exactly what i need for the 302.

The jeep has a 4 inch suspension lift by rough country, a 3 inch body list and 1 1/4 inch boomerang shackles. I cant wait to get this conversion underway. I am still buying parts at this stage and pondering other options. I looked at the f.a.s.t. Ez efi system and i'm impressed so i will probably go that route for reliability sake. Stay tuned for pictures of my project. It should be fun to work on and a blast to drive, i can't wait.

I GOT SOME PARTS IN THIS WEEK AND GOT A CHANCE TO WORK ON THE JEEP. I GOT ALL OF THE FRAME AND BODY BUSHINGS REPLACED, PUT A NEW AFTERMARKET FRONT BUMPER ON IT AND PUT A MANUAL STEERING BOX ON. I ORDERED SOME 302 MOTOR MOUNTS FROM TIN MAN FABRICATION. THEY LOOK PRETTY GOOD IN THE PICTURE, GUESS WE WILL SEE IF THEY WORK AS GOOD AS THEY LOOK. ALL OF THE OTHER MOUNTS I LOOKED AT FOR THE JEEP PROJECTS WERE FOR THE OLD STYLE MUSTANGS. I JUST DIDN'T LIKE THE MOUNTS EVERYONE SELLS FOR JEEP CONVERSIONS. THE TIN M AN MOUNTS ARE MORE OF A HOT ROD OR STREET ROD STYLE MOUNT.

I CLEANED UP THE TRANSMISSION AND TRANSFER CASE AND GOT EVERYTHING READY FOR THE BIG DAY OF FABRICATION. MY CHAMPION 4 ROW RADIATOR IS ON THE WAY FROM CALIFORNIA AND MY DICK CEPEK DC 2 WHEELS ARE ON THE WAY. I PULLED THE GEAR AND UNIT OUT OF THE 8.8 REAR, GETTING READY FOR THE CLEAN UP AND TO MOUNT THE SPRING PERCHES ON THE HOUSING. I HAVE SOME WELDING TO DO ON THE HOUSING OTHER THAN THE MOUNTS. I PLAN TO PUT SOME S.O.S. AXLE TUBE BRACES ON THE HOUSING, GETTING A LPW GIRDLE COVER. AND I NEED TO WELD THE TONE RING HOLE UP ON THE HOUSING. I CAN'T DECIDE IF I WANT TO STEP UP TO A 4.56 OR 4.88 OR STAY WITH THE 4.10 GEAR. I AM GETTING READY TO ORDER A 31 SPLINE POSI UNIT AND THEN I WILL DECIDE ON THE GEAR SIZE. THE MAIN REASON I WANT TO WAIT ON GEARING IS THAT I CANT DECIDE ON TIRE SIZE YET. I THINK I COULD GET A 36 INCH TIRE ON IT BUT WANT TO LOOK FOR A DEAL FIRST.

JUST GOT MY CHAMPION 4 ROW RADIATOR AND FIBERGLASS POWER BULGE HOOD IN TODAY. HAVE NOT REALLY LOOKED AT THEM YET TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY DEFECTS, HAD TO LOOK IN A RUSH ON MY LUCH HOUR BUT AT FIRST GLANCE THE HOOD LOOKED NICE AND THE RADIATOR IS VERY LARGE AND SHOULD COOL A SMALL NUCLEAR PLANT. I HAVE SEEN BOILER ROOMS SMALLER THAN THIS RADIATOR. OH WELL, I WANTED BIG AND NASTY THINGS AND I GUESS I GOT WHAT I WISHED FOR. AFTER THE MOTOR MOUNTS COME IN, IT MAY BE A WHILE BEFORE ANY MORE LARGE PARTS PURCHASES. I AM OUT OF ROOM AND MONEY FOR NOW. I WILL HAVE TO FABRICATE AND GET SOME PARTS ON THE JEEP BEFORE I CAN GO ON FROM HERE.

GOT THE HOOD ON THE YJ THIS PAST WEEK THAT I BOUGHT FROM US BODY SOURCE, IT IS A YJ POWER BULGE COWL INDUCTION TYPE HOOD. I CAN'T EXACTLY SAY THAT I AM THRILLED WITH THE HOOD. I NOTICED THAT THERE WERE SOME SERIOUS IMPERFECTION IN THE FIBERGLASS IN SEVERAL PLACES, THE GEL COAT LOOKED PRETTY BAD AND AFTER MOUNTING THE HOOD, ALL I CAN SAY IS, FOR THE MONEY, IT SUCKS. I PAID OVER $550.00 SHIPPED FOR THIS HOOD. THE HOOD WILL NOT LINE UP TO WHERE I CAN LIVE WITH THE ISSUES. I CALLED THEM TODAY TO COMPLAIN AND WAS TOLD A TECH WOULD CALL ME BACK. NOTHING YET, WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED. IT IS AN EXTREMELY HEAVY HOOD, IT WEIGHS MORE THAN THE STOCK STEEL HOOD, HAS NO OPENING IN THE COWL, BUT I MADE ONE, LOL. I HAD TO CUT THE BOTTOM OF THE HOOD OUT SO THAT THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT WOULD GET AIR. I KNOW IT SOUNDS LIKE I EXPECTED A LOT BUT FOR THAT KIND OF MONEY, I DO. I HAVE BOUGHT $200.00 HOODS THAT WERE BETTER THAN THIS ONE.

I ALSO GOT THE MOTOR MOUNTS IN FROM TIN MAN FABRICATION. THEY LOOK VERY NICE AND ARE WELL MADE. I BELIEVE THAT THESE ARE THE MOUNTS TO USE IN THIS TYPE 302 CONVERSION. THEY ARE A LITTLE PRICY, BUT WITH QUALITY, COMES A PRICE. I WANT TO TRY TO DO A QUICK DROP IN ON THE MOTOR TO SEE IF THEY LOOK CLOSE.

OK, I TALKED WITH THE FINE FOLKS AT USBODYSOURCE AND THEY BASICALLY TOLF ME TO GO F*&K MYSELF, SO I WOULD SAY, DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT MAKE IT GOOD. I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT AND I GUESS IT IS A GOOD THING IT IS FIBERGLASS, NOT METAL.

IN THE PAST WEEK I HAVE DONE LOTS OF SMALL THINGS TO THE JEEP. TOOK OFF THE FENDER FLAIRS AND SOLD THEM, TOOK THE STOCK DANA 35 REAR OUT, AND CUT ALL OF THE BRACKETS OFF OF THE 8.8 FORD REAR END. I ALSO SOLD THE HARD TOP AND DONE SOME MORE SANDING ON THE BODY. IT IS MY FIRM INTENTIONS TO PAINT THIS JEEP RATTLE CAN SEMI FLAT BLACK. I PAINTED THE MUSTANG THAT I HAD WITH THE SAME PAINT AND IT LOOKED NASTY. IT IS NOT DULL OR SHINY AND IS REALLY EASY TO TOUCH UP. I HAVE NEVER BEEN A FAN OF FANCY PAINT JOBS IT WILL BE PAINTED WITHIN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS. I INTEND TO DO SOME CAMO ACCENTS AND LINE X THE INSIDE OF THE TUB.

JUST GOT THE REST OF MY TIRES MOUNTED TODAY AND IT WONT BE LONG UNTIL I BUTTON UP THE REAR END. I ALSO PUT SOME SMITTYBUILT ROCK GUARDS ON THE SIDE OF THE JEEP TO ACT AS A STEP ALSO. I WILL UPDATE AS THINGS PROGRESS. UNTIL NEXT TIME.......IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS THAT WOULD HELP ME, LET ME KNOW, I AM UP FOR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS.....

Attachments

• yj 2.JPG
    yj 2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,176
  • 302.JPG
    302.JPG
    931.9 KB · Views: 781
  • new tires.JPG
    new tires.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 487
  • trans.JPG
    trans.JPG
    1,014.5 KB · Views: 324
  • nerf.JPG
    nerf.JPG
    608.8 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

Hey man, looks like you have a good project going. I would be interested in the stock rear end out of your jeep if it was the factory dana 44. Would ya like to sell it? Cash is always a big help on a project.

it isn;t a d44 rear end, stock.

nice engine choice, i wish i could put a 302 in my 87

-loose the body lift
-looks better with the stock steel rims, hood and bumper
-consider a better rear axle, the stock D35 will explode, not a question of if but when.

too add, it is rumored that the only YJ in north america that got a D44 stock were 88-89 yj's with a tow package and only released in Canada. I have never seen one, nor verified it.

hey man, looks like you have a good project going. I would be interested in the stock rear end out of your jeep if it was the factory dana 44. Would ya like to sell it? Cash is always a big help on a project.

thanks for the comment, i am really looking for some input because this is my first jeep build and i am learning as i go along. The rear end is for sale if you want it, i will sell it cheap, cheap, thanks again...

Looks like a great start on your project. I like your choice of engines. I tend to agree with others that the 3" body lift is a bit much.

looks like a great start on your project. I like your choice of engines. I tend to agree with others that the 3" body lift is a bit much.

well, i thought the body lift would give me some much needed room between the engine, trans and body. I may loose it later on if things appear to have the room i need. Why does no one like body lifts anymore, lol....

well, i thought the body lift would give me some much needed room between the engine, trans and body. I may loose it later on if things appear to have the room i need. Why does no one like body lifts anymore, lol....

I've got a 1 inch body lift on mine, and think it looks good. It's when you get up around 3 inches that it doesn't look as good. Plus, you'll end up breaking mounts on the trail, if you get rear ended, etc.

Well, i finally got the 8.8 rear under the jeep, done some stripping of parts, decals and paint and laid a nice coat of my signature color on it, semi flat black, lol. It looks really nice and is very slick. My next step is to finish the rest of the body and spray the entire jeep before the drive train goes in.

Against much dislike on this website, i have decided to keep the body lift even though no one likes them. I think it looks good and it gives me the much needed clearance under the hood and between the body and trans. Not to mention, this is a street jeep and will not be a rock crawler or mudder. I know, go ahead and tell me how screwed up that is.

If my truck sells this week, i am ordering some more parts i need like a digital 6 msd, gears, posi unit, and lots of autometer gauges. Stay tuned for progress.

Attachments

• bad jeep.JPG
    bad jeep.JPG
    726.9 KB · Views: 1,433
  • bad jeep 2.JPG
    bad jeep 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,761
Last edited:
That's the great thing about Jeeps. Build it the way YOU like it. Don't worry about what others think.

Nice wheels, by the way.

Yep, your Jeep. Gotta make yourself happy. Looks like your moving right along, keep it up and you'll be on the road in no time.

Got a ups truck full of summit parts the day after thanksgiving. Got a boat load of autometer gauges and the gauge pods to house them, a ultimate 8.8 rear end cover, an 8.8 bearing and shim kit, ford racing 4.56 gear, a ford racing 31 spline cobra carbon fiber clutch 8.8 unit, an msd digital 6 box and a msd ss coil. I also got some smitty built 6 inch fender flairs and a centerforce dual friction clutch kit that i hav`e already installed, new flywheel and slave cylinder, already installed in the ford 5 speed trans. I finished painting the hood and put on a set of diamond plate rear corners. I cut the original motor mounts off and i hope i will be setting the engine in very soon. Got to get a welding machine from a friend and let the sparks fly.

I need just a few more things and i should be done buying parts. I sold my truck, my boat and spent money out of my pocket getting to the point i am now. I hope this project works out without any serious problems or i may be in the mental ward, lol. I have to figure out if a bronco master cylinder will work with the` current clutch pedal. I have all of the other clutch hydralics. I have to get all of my ford rear end brakes and run new lines, get the measurements on a rear drive shaft and figure out an exhaust system. I was thinking mac exhaust but i really want side pipes. Does anyone sell the old cj side pipes? Please let me know who if so. I want it loud and obscene. This motor has a huge roller cam and sounds awesome through mac mufflers but if i found side pipes i may change my mind.

I do have a question to all of you jeep guys. I have a plastic gas tank in my jeep. Not sure what gallon yet, but it has a sending unit that is retangular in shape. Cant get a strait answer on the ohms for the fuel gauge. I did not buy the gauge yet for that reason. I have been looking for a new sending unit thinking that would be the way to go and so i will know for sure what the ohms are. All the sending units i see for a 1987 yj are round top with a lock ring, again my sending unit is retangular with bolts. Could it have been changed maybe. Jeep people, i want your comments and guidance on this issu, i will buy it all new if i need to but will use the stuff i have if i can determine what it is without too many different answers.

I have posted some new current pics from the week end progress.

Attachments

• bad jeep.JPG
    bad jeep.JPG
    726.9 KB · Views: 256
  • bad jeep 2.JPG
    bad jeep 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 238
  • blacked out jeep.JPG
    blacked out jeep.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,147
  • diamondplate.JPG
    diamondplate.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 444
  • motor and trans.JPG
    motor and trans.JPG
    897.3 KB · Views: 322
oh man, thats the engine i need for my jeep.

no idea on the gauge and sender stuff though. when i dropped my tank it was not to mess with the sender so i completely ignored it

I didn't get much input on last message so i guess i will try and help someone who may be thinking about a transplant of a 5.0 or at least considering it, here goes....

I got out side the other day and tinkered with the frankenyj. I cut the existing motor mounts off and measured where everything should go and here is the preluminaries of what i came up with.

The transmission skid plate had to be butchered somewhat to house the bronco 5 speed trans and transfer case. I had to cut off the back third of the skid plate in order for the bulk of the transfer case to hang down off of the back without hitting the skid plate. If i had not cut the skid plate, i would have had to space the crap out of the transmission mount which would have raised my transmission at least two inches in the rear. I also had to notch the front of the skid plate so that the trans would set in the cradle without hitting the skid plate, this was not very hard and only took a sawzall and about 5 minutes. Cutting the back third off of the skid plate was not very hard either and only took about 10 minutes and three blades, lol.

I also had to use the ford 5 speed transmission mount and it did not line up with the factory holes in the skid plate. After some measurements, i mad to move the mount almost all the way back as far as it would go and drill new holes in the skid plate. My measurement from the center of the trans mount to the center of my new tin man fabrication motor mounts was 38 inches. This put me almost in the same spot where the factory mounts were previously located. Its another 17 inches to the front of the serpentine pulley on the water pump. This made me nervous because i didn't have much room left for a fan of any type. After putting the champion 4 row radiator in, it looks like i only have 2 inches of space to spare between the radiator and the pulley. It looks like i will have to use a thin electric pusher fan on the front of the radiator. These measurements are not 100% at this time but probably will not change much since i measured several times and come up with the same measurements. I may lose an inch or gain an inch when i drop the motor and trans in.

My skid plate has a spacer and i may be able to leave it like it is. It will all depend on the down angle of the transmission. I need an 8 degree down angle to be within factory specs. As some of you may already know, the 8.8 explorer rear end is offset to the passenger side of the jeep. The skid plate transmission mount holes were also off set to the passenger side. I stayed within the same location on my new holes i drilled and my motor and trans (should be off set to the passenger side as well so that the drive shaft angle will only be up and down and not sideways as well. This should make it easy on the u joints.

Last but not least, i bought a new set of long tube bbk headers but only paid $50.00 for them, well, they would not work with my transplant, they ran almost right into the skid plate and the only options were to make drastic bends on the exhaust or to bend the headers up or down drastically. The only option in my opinion is to sell the ones i have and to get some shorty headers. I had hoped i could use the long tubes and some manufacturers may make some shorter headers than the bbk headers but its not worth the risk to buy them pre engine install. Just wait and put the motor in and see where you are at. The only reason i bought headers was the fact that they were $3oo.oo plus and i got them new for $50.00. I can sellthem and buy new ones and not be out much money or break even.

All in all, this is a very simple transplant of the 5.0 with the later model full size bronco trans and transfer case. The worst part of this whole transplant is getting all of the parts lined up that you need and figureing out what will work and what will not work. My only issue at this time is a clutch master cylinder. I used all of the bronco parts and hoses thus far and i plan on trying the bronco master cylinder, if it fits like it is or with a little modification. If not, i will adapt what i have now with fittings.

My plan now is to drop this beast in the jeep this weekend, i hope. It will be a matter of small complex stuff after that. I am thinking that the 5.0 mustang radiator hoses will even will work after i cut them off some. We shall see, until next time, i will be hammering, cutting, cussing and praying, lol.....

Last edited:
Sweet deal. I am following along so once I come up with the money and engine, I can do the same swap. My only change is I will only use the engine as it bolts to the stock trams so I won't have the skid plate and all those other issues.

Thanks for the reply superj, i looked into the engine only swap but there seemed to be lots of problems there. The motor mounts and the fact that jeep doesnt seem to make a transmission strong enough for my taste. It also seemed that it was going to be a more expensive and harder swap than gutting everything out and starting over. Those people that make the adaptors are sure proud of them not to mention that they seem to not give you enough details to know that the swap will work with thier parts. I guess there are just not enough ford guys to make this a popular swap huh? No worries, we will make our own and save money.....

no, its a d35, absolute junk

My Dana 35 with Trac-Loc in my 92 YJ needed a new carrier bearing with the stock 4.0. I wasen't going to spend a penny on it so replaced it with a Dana 44 with disks and Detroit Locker. Has been just fine for 12 years. Never a problem with the Dana 30. Running 4.56 gears and 33x12.5 at's.

Back