YJ Gas Gauge.

BillT

My 91 YJ gas gauge has never worked. I just installed a new sending unit (20 gal) and I think it made the problem worse. Before I was empty on 1/4 of a tank. Now tank is empty when the gauge reads 1/2. What am I missing?

Also, I did the tube conversion on my tank. Being able to fill up all the way is Sweet. :shades:

Im not sure but I will be interested to see how you fix it I have the same issue except full is at 3/4 of a tank and it only holds 10 gallons full but read on the forum it's supposed to hold 15 gallons so hopefully I have another 1/4 tank when empty

Wow, I feel like an idiot for not looking at what type of Jeep you have, disregard that link.

maybe you have corrosion at some of hte connections behind your gauge?

My yj has the same problem and i finally figured out that it was my tank, the plastic tank had bowed upwards in the bottom and pushed my pickup tube up and it wasnt letting my float drop all the way down. now im just looking for a new tank that doesnt cost 300+ dollars. hope this helps:).

Definitely something I'll check when I drop my tank again. Thanks.

this is how it works. A grounded center wire (tan/black) from the rear plug (by the filler side of the tank by leafspring at rear. It's hard to get at but can be done with needle nose) means the gauge should show empty (float down). Ungrounded is tank full. On the gauge itself is a center nut which should be be grounded (-). The lower pin connection should be positive (+). This is without the sending unit jumping in. The upper pin on the gauge is the key. If it is grounded the float is down and it shows empty on the gauge. If it isn't.. the tank is full and the float is up, full on the gauge. Check all these connections to see they are what I say. If the tank is empty and the upper is not a true negitive that means either the sender is bad or their is a connection problem somewhere. If the connections are good and the sending unit is good.. you can test the gauge in your hand. Remove it from the cluster and ground the center...positive to the lower... grounding the upper should make needle go down. Otheriwise it is up. If these tjhings don't happen gauge is bad. Mine is a 91.

Last edited:
The arm on the float in tank corrode won't let it go down all the way is what happened to mine cleaned it works right now

The arm on the float in tank corrode won't let it go down all the way is what happened to mine cleaned it works right now

New sending unit. Unfortunately I had to sell my Jeep, needed something a little more fuel efficient for college. I bought an 04 TDI Golf. :roll: Thankfully my roommate bought a new toy.
ZXAllac-1.jpg

I'll be back soon gentlemen.

Back