80 cj7 build

fatboyscott

I have decided to drop a fuel injected 302 in my jeep to replace my tired 4.2. Anyone got any suggestions? Actually was thinking on a 5.0 HO.

google it up. some people have done it and it looks sweet

superj is pretty spot on. you can grab any 302 block and throw on a EFI kit and it should work. but if you can find a complete motor that would be a lot easier I'm pretty sure you have the same trans and t-case as I do in my 82 cj7 and those parts are compatible with a 302 just in case you didn't know

what trans do you guys have? they bolt right to the 302? man, that would make life so much easier

Right now its a TF 727 and a dana 300. Pretty sure when I do all of this I'm going to go ahead with the ford version T18. I figure if im going to do all these mods might as well go all out.

t18 may be a good choice. I'm not sure if that's the model trans in my jeep. it sounds familiar. I can check if you want cuz like I said my trans bolts right up and will handle a fair amount of hp...

so my tf999 should bolt up also as i have a 4.2 in my jeep (well, a 4.2 mixed with a 4.0)

T18 would be awesome if your jeep is a trail jeep, if you plan to drive on the highway, it is not at all ideal. you in no way will be limited in the trans department. If it were me, I'd run a 700r4 or just keep the TF727. adapters are available for both. If you have not replaced your rear 2 piece shafts, i would also do that.

It will probably see as much road as trail, but I want it to be structurally sound when I'm trailing. Im willing to give up some road comfort for peace of mind.

we actually have a t176 in the jeep. that transmission bolts right up to a 302

As the son said , the T-176 will mount right up, you may have to as we are going to have to do, shave 620 thousandths off the input shaft so it won't bottom on the crank. The T-176 transmission was made by tremec for ford and also jeep, (so I have heard, not certain). Don't go all out on Hp, it is a medium duty transmission.

Back