Rear diff suggestions for my CJ5

It is all about how you drive it. The tubes are thin on a CJ AMC 20 and the pumpkin housing is cast, brittle and prone to cracking; heavy bouncing not recommended but with one piece shafts they can live a long life.

If I go with the model 20, for sure it would have a good set of axels also a strong cover ( I've read it adds strength to the housing). Some time down the road I plan on adding a locker. I know they add a bit of stress to the diff. I hate to invest a good deal in it and still just be marginal in strength and worried about hammering it in a tight spot. I could probably make a set of thicker tubes at work for my 20. From what I've read a Scout II axel swap may be the way to go. The front seems a bit involved but I don't think It'll be nothing I couldn't handle. I'd love to hear from someone that's done this swap.

If I go with the model 20, for sure it would have a good set of axels also a strong cover ( I've read it adds strength to the housing). Some time down the road I plan on adding a locker. I know they add a bit of stress to the diff. I hate to invest a good deal in it and still just be marginal in strength and worried about hammering it in a tight spot. I could probably make a set of thicker tubes at work for my 20. From what I've read a Scout II axel swap may be the way to go. The front seems a bit involved but I don't think It'll be nothing I couldn't handle. I'd love to hear from someone that's done this swap.

If it were my money…..

A lot would again depend upon how hard you wheel and how long before you expect to make the move up to wider axles. Axle work is expensive and I would not spend a lot of money on a CJ AMC 20 (FSJ 20 is a different matter) unless you plan to keep it for a while and then only within limits. I ran an AMC 20 with one piece shafts and a Lockright lunchbox locker for some time with no problems but I am not a hardcore push it until it breaks kind of guy, anymore. There was a day that I thought 4x4 meant go fast just in 4 wheel drive and basically destroyed a brand new CJ5 in about 6 months’ time but I chalk that up to the insanity of youth.

If the plan is to trading out the axels in the next year(ish) I might start looking for axles now. If lucky you might come up with a 1986 CJ7 with a Dana 44 rear being parted out. A tall order but is amazes (and saddens) me as to how many CJs are being parted out by private parties these days to pick up a few bucks. Should you decide wide track isn’t required there are a lot more options that become available.

If it were my money…..

A lot would again depend upon how hard you wheel and how long before you expect to make the move up to wider axles. Axle work is expensive and I would not spend a lot of money on a CJ AMC 20 (FSJ 20 is a different matter) unless you plan to keep it for a while and then only within limits. I ran an AMC 20 with one piece shafts and a Lockright lunchbox locker for some time with no problems but I am not a hardcore push it until it breaks kind of guy, anymore. There was a day that I thought 4x4 meant go fast just in 4 wheel drive and basically destroyed a brand new CJ5 in about 6 months’ time but I chalk that up to the insanity of youth.

If the plan is to trading out the axels in the next year(ish) I might start looking for axles now. If lucky you might come up with a 1986 CJ7 with a Dana 44 rear being parted out. A tall order but is amazes (and saddens) me as to how many CJs are being parted out by private parties these days to pick up a few bucks. Should you decide wide track isn’t required there are a lot more options that become available.
I'm keeping my eye out for an 86 cj7 being parted. I even found one, but it's in Texas. A bit too far for me to drive. I've been pretty darn lucky finding the parts I wanted so far and gotten good deals. The key has been waiting for them to come along. I've been working the issues out with my hard top, had new rubbers and a glass put in this week. There are other things that have to be done, a long list really but I'm keeping an eye out. I can drive it the way it is, so no big rush.

I'm keeping my eye out for an 86 cj7 being parted. I even found one, but it's in Texas. A bit too far for me to drive. I've been pretty darn lucky finding the parts I wanted so far and gotten good deals. The key has been waiting for them to come along. .

To me the chase is half the fun!

To me the chase is half the fun!
I agree, I bought a 6000 lb Warn Belleview winch couple weeks ago off this old guy. Got some unique Perlux 200 off road lights and most of the bumper,. Has good cable and fairlead for 75bucks. I tell ya, I really do believe they pipe sun light back in the hollar I got it from. I bet GPS would swear it didn't exsist. When you build a vehicle and you think of all the strange places you got the parts and the storys behind them It really adds to the experiance. The guys that build 'em with a credit card are missing out.

Back