Rear diff suggestions for my CJ5

flatie46

In the future I will be up grading and going to at least the later "wide track" axels to gain the stability and track width. I plan on running tires probably no bigger than 33's. I know they make the one piece axels for the amc 20 but does anybody have any suggestions on a different unit with approx the same width that's stronger? I don't think I really need 3/4 or one ton axels.

Anybody swapped their rear axel on a CJ for something better?

A buddy of mine put a dana 44 from an 86 cj7 in his but he's having trouble finding aftermarket axles because they only made it one year.

A buddy of mine put a dana 44 from an 86 cj7 in his but he's having trouble finding aftermarket axles because they only made it one year.

Tell your buddy to call dutchman axles, they sell chromo's for this axle. I think superior does at well.

If your only gonna run 33-35" tires, If I were you I would find a set of non-offset D44 rear from a CJ and a later D30 or earily waggy 44 for the front. Personally I like the narrow trac axles. I see absolutley no huge gain in the wide to narrow tracs that a set of rims can't make up for. plus people want to get rid of them for the wider axles and they are easier and cheaper to find.

Also a 9" axle from a pass. car will be the same wideth as your CJ, just run some F100 shafts cut down and re-splined to get teh 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

Tell your buddy to call dutchman axles, they sell chromo's for this axle. I think superior does at well.

If your only gonna run 33-35" tires, If I were you I would find a set of non-offset D44 rear from a CJ and a later D30 or earily waggy 44 for the front. Personally I like the narrow trac axles. I see absolutley no huge gain in the wide to narrow tracs that a set of rims can't make up for. plus people want to get rid of them for the wider axles and they are easier and cheaper to find.

Also a 9" axle from a pass. car will be the same wideth as your CJ, just run some F100 shafts cut down and re-splined to get teh 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.
I plan on moving up to 33's in the future and would like to add a locker of some kind. From what I've heard a locker puts a bit more strain on the diff. I didn't know if i put a wide track amc 20 under it with one piece axels if it'd hold up. So, they put 44's under cj's in 86? That'd be me there.

I thought if I run wide track with 10" rims it'd help in the respect that it'd be harder to roll having a wider base.

Also look to the mid '90s Isuzu Rodeo and Honda Passport for a rear d44, paired with a '70s model Grand Wagoneer for a front d44. You'll gain 4whl disc brakes and a matching 6-lug wheel pattern at all 4 corners. The 6-lug is a very common wheel pattern.

This is a great option to gain a d44 front axle, giving you larger brakes, larger bearings, and more high-steer options.

model 20 with a non-chromo 1 piece shaft is marginally weaker than a D44 in stock trim.

I wheel with plenty of people with 36-37" tires on a M20 with 1 piece chromo's in the rear, one of which has a pretty healthy 304 and T18 trans. I have only seen him break his rear once and he was hammering up some rocks and got bouncey, shock loaded the shaft and sheared the flange completely off, mind you this was an axle that was installed at least 6 years ago and he is not known to take it easy.

pics for proof

this was earlier in the day

image-missing.png

which probably contributed to this.

image-missing.png

Also look to the mid '90s Isuzu Rodeo and Honda Passport for a rear d44, paired with a '70s model Grand Wagoneer for a front d44. You'll gain 4whl disc brakes and a matching 6-lug wheel pattern at all 4 corners. The 6-lug is a very common wheel pattern.

This is a great option to gain a d44 front axle, giving you larger brakes, larger bearings, and more high-steer options.
I know the Trooper was a pretty good offroad machine but I'd never have thought they'd have a d44. Passport really blows me away! Thanks for the info, I'll be looking and weighing my options.

model 20 with a non-chromo 1 piece shaft is marginally weaker than a D44 in stock trim.

I wheel with plenty of people with 36-37" tires on a M20 with 1 piece chromo's in the rear, one of which has a pretty healthy 304 and T18 trans. I have only seen him break his rear once and he was hammering up some rocks and got bouncey, shock loaded the shaft and sheared the flange completely off, mind you this was an axle that was installed at least 6 years ago and he is not known to take it easy.

pics for proof

this was earlier in the day

image-missing.png

which probably contributed to this.

image-missing.png
Yea, by looking at the two pics he don't seem to be the kind that'd worry 'bout scratchin' it up. I'm guessing if I were to buy one piece shafts for a model 20, chromoly would be worth the extra money?

Talked to a friend that has an 80's model ford 3/4 ton truck that he may haul to the crusher. He said he thinks it has a dana 60 under it. I could get it cheap (maybe free). I don't know the width of it, I'm sure it's wider than the wide track axels. Could have it narrowed I guess. It has the 8 lug pattern, he was telling me you could have the pattern welded up and re-drilled to what I need. I know this one would be stout and my 304 probably wouldn't hurt it. Anybody know any down sides to this swap?

80's ford will have a D60 front and Sterling rear, both great axles.

the front Diff will be on the wrong side through to use your D20 or D300 as it is now. ford stopped using the D60 rear in 1979

80's ford will have a D60 front and Sterling rear, both great axles.

the front Diff will be on the wrong side through to use your D20 or D300 as it is now. ford stopped using the D60 rear in 1979
It's just the rear and it's in a 2wheel drive. Will the housing be hanging too low if I run 33's. The truck it's in is an 85 I think, this weekend I'll go check it out. Wikapeidia says ford used 'em in the rear from 55-85.

no, they used them in 2wd trucks. ya with 33's it will hang pretty low. you can "shave the diff" I am becoming less and less of a fan of this; I've seen 1 ton axles shaved and then litterally snap down the middle. due to the shaving.

if you only want to run 33's, keep what you got. like mentioned, the M20 with some good shafts and a replacement carrier (factory carrier is not the strongest, full case replacement like arb or detroit) and easily run a 36-37" tire.

no, they used them in 2wd trucks. ya with 33's it will hang pretty low. you can "shave the diff" I am becoming less and less of a fan of this; I've seen 1 ton axles shaved and then litterally snap down the middle. due to the shaving.

if you only want to run 33's, keep what you got. like mentioned, the M20 with some good shafts and a replacement carrier (factory carrier is not the strongest, full case replacement like arb or detroit) and easily run a 36-37" tire.
I don't know, still kickin' it all around. Thanks to all of ya for the input.

Explorer or Ranger 8.8". The Ranger axle is about 1.5" narrower and might fit a CJ better, although not all of them are 8.8's and they have drum brakes except for very new ones that have discs. 96-01 Explorer axles will have disc brakes.

I got behind a military humvee from our local National Guard unit yesterday. I have no idea what kind of diff set up they have but they've got lot's of clearance. Looked like I could crawl under it from the grill to the tail lights without much effort. Doubt I'll run across one at pull -a -part though.

H1 Humvees have planetary hubs, in other words a geared drop-down hub from the axle. The hub centerline is below the axle centerline. It's an independent setup and probably not adaptable to a Jeep. Mercedes Unimogs have used a similar setup for decades with (I think) solid axles but they are rare in this country and probably hella expensive when you find them.

yes unimogs are solid axles with portal hubs on teh ends for gear reduction and increased clearence, and yes, the H1 is independent suspension, front and rear also with portal boxes.

I run 38 1/2 monster mudders and an ected locker with one piece axles and 4.88 gears in my amc 20 never had a problem but i guess its how you attack the trails

Last edited:
Back