TJ Steering Upgrade

captjanes

so after running 35" tires for a few years now i think it is time to upgrade my steering. my universal and my steady bearing/bushing is falling apart and i got alot of play on my steering wheel (about 1/4 of a turn). what are some upgrade options available?

There is a heavy duty steering box quadratic sells and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is a ram power steering conversion you can do but i don't know much about it

factory ZJ steering links and tre are an upgrade to a stock TJ and are pretty easy to find in a junk yard.

as for the steering shaft, I run a borgsoun (spelled wrong) only because it was what was available to repair mine when it went south.

steering gear, stock replacement is fine, a durango box is a direct bolt in upgrade

I run this Iron Rock Offroad Over the Knuckle Steering on my 2005. I chose to do the 5/8" upgrade and it has worked great. The 1/2" version is probably adequate, however I like to err on the over built side. Drilling out the knuckles was fairly easy, the pitman arm is another story. Keep the bit straight and oiled and it goes fairly well. Still running the stock box and shaft/universal, still solid after 40k miles on the 35's and 110k miles overall.

cos1-1.jpg

cos2-1.jpg

Last edited:

This is such a huge topic, it causes more hate on more forums than you would believe. You have to ask yourself what kind of wheeling you want to do, or what your wanting your Jeep to do, as in DD or all out crawler, where do you see your Jeep in 3 years lol.

For the inverted 'Y' style (stock), that you have now, Currie Currectlync is probably the most popular, personaly I think its ok, just a beefier version of the stock setup. I wouldnt reccomend the Savvy upgrade for it for the same reason the ZJ upgrade with a beefier tie rod isnt a good idea, with a super strong tie rod and a stock drag link, your asking for trouble, same thing with the Savvy upgrade to Currie, if the tie rod cant flex or bend, the drag link must bend, and the tie rod was way easier to bend back and get off the trail than a drag link.

there are several full cross over systems, like the one OTPJeep has, ORO U-Turn makes a good system, its about $600, but very well designed and trail worthy.

There is also the inverted 'T' systems, like Rugged Ridge and a few others, very affordable, but people will go on and on about ackerman angles, I have to guess they are rock crawling at 40 mph.

The best thing you could do is go to someplace like Quadratec or 4wheelparts or your favorite Jeep parts website and look at all the options, find a few that fit your budget and let us know here what the top contenders are, you'll get a lot of good information (and some bad) and be able to make the best choice for your needs and driving/wheeling style.

Back