nerf bars

Gennybro

Acquired some 2 1/2 inch round tube stock, and am going to fabricate nerf bars for my 91 yj. Where would the best place to attach them to the jeep be,and would it be better to have them extending a couple of inches out from the body or directly underneth the rocker panel pics of your set up would be appreciated.Thanks.

I just did the same fab in mine but it was an lj. But I did put it sticking out not right under and it looks good

how thick is this tube? anything under .120 is probably going to get crushed.

I have .25" 1.5" DOM mine, attached directly to the frame using fish plates

how thick is this tube? anything under .120 is probably going to get crushed.

I have .25" 1.5" DOM mine, attached directly to the frame using fish plates
It's 2.400 od,with .150 wall thickness,dont know if that will be strong enough ,if I go to use a high lift jack on it. Was working at a plant installing a conveyor ,the maintenance guys was cutting up the pipe that was used as a bump gaurd for in case the fork trucks got to close to the conveyor. Thought it would be good nerf bar material.

I was checking out the nerf bars from Quadratec,and their wall thickness was .120.So I figure I'm good to go,but I question as to weather or not the material is strong enough to use a high lift jack on it.

as long as your using them strickly for a step, you should be fine ( assuming you don't weight 800lbs) if you are considering using these for rocker protection, for get about it. they will bend and defrm and eventually end up into the rockers anyways.

as long as your using them strickly for a step, you should be fine ( assuming you don't weight 800lbs) if you are considering using these for rocker protection, for get about it. they will bend and defrm and eventually end up into the rockers anyways.
After working with this material a little and takeing a hammer to it a couple of times I see that its not gonna be very good for protection.They should call them nerd bars, if they cannt give much protection.
Since my jeep is a 4 cyl, I dont think getting the 1/4 inch thick material is a good idea,running on 33x12.5 tires drags it down enough,So, gonna fab these togeather and put them on so as to have a step and it well at least enhance the looks of the jeep. Thanks for the advice.

the weigh should not be an issue. if you want cheap rockers, I would suggest buying some 6x6 1/4" angle iron, way back when Ebay was just starting out, I used to buy a 20ft length of this material for $20; cut into lengths, drill a couple holes add about $10 worth of grade 8 hardware and sell them on ebay as hardcore rocker guards for $100, $150 with $10 worth of poop pipe welded to the side for a step.

unfortunately, this material went up in price and I simply didn't care about selling on ebay anymore once they raised their price.

I ran them on my jeep for at least 10 years and they took a beating and a half.
Simple, cheap and effective. also I would not be concerned about your motor and the weight; combined they would weigh less than 15 lbs, not significant enough to worry about it.

Here is a pic of the ones I ran on my jeep, just 6x6-1/4" angle iron, the tube on mine were from HREW tube, but Sch 80 pipe will work the same, just keep the diameter under 1.75 od.

4326d1262810665t-johnnys-94-yj-one-big-poop-s1031714.jpg

Last edited:
Back