Jeep Virgin about to take the plunge

Amity

Hi everyone.

Well, like most of you, I have had Jeep fever since I was old enough to know what one was. Howerver, just about everyone tries to talk me out of it. Well, I have to buy a car that would be somewhat of a daily driver for the next year...after that, just a weekend car. My hubby works from home a lot so some days I can use our other car. I work 10 miles from home, and the mpg's wouldn't be much worse that our SUV. I love the bumps, and the freedon, and I know fully well what a Jeeps assets are, and the negatives.

okay, my budget is pretty limited at the moment (trying to keep it under $4000) but I found one I like for $3750. He dropped the price from 6K as he needs to sell fast for medical reasons. It's a '94 YJ 4cyl, 150k miles, with a 3" lift. new tops, tires about 10k miles on them. He says it is in really good shape, no problems, no off-roading.

My questions are:

I will have my brother with me to check it out as he is more mechanically inclined..but he is more of a camero guy and doesn't really know jeeps. What should I have him look for?

At that many miles what should I be concerend about or watch for for the next 6 months to a year or so? (not a lot of money to throw into it right now, but if it ends up being a good vehicle, then I will.) The econemy has to get better, right? :( Small things here or there I can handle, but a transmission or something...yeah, not so much.

I know, probably stupid to ask, but I appreciate it.

thank you!

Look for the basics like leaks, loose wheel bearings, ball joints, u-joints. I had a compression check done on mine before I bought it, which was fine. My mechanic did find that the front outer axle u-joints were loose (where the axle shafts connect to the hubs) and the used car lot replaced them for free labor. I bought the joints, labor is the expensive part of that deal. If that's your price range then you are most likely going to end up with a 4-banger, no many 6's under $6k unless they're rusted and beat to death. If it seems to have been well cared for, I wouldn't worry about the miles. The 4-bangers are good for 200k+.

The econemy has to get better, right
The economy will begin to improve shortly, when it looks more and more likely that the Kenyan Interloper will be sent packing.

where are you located? that sounds like a good price, even for a 4 cylinder. is it an automatic 4 cylinder will be the huge limiting question. if its an automatic, i would be inclined to continue looking.

if look for long enough, you will find 6 cylinders in that price range. my wife had a 93 6 cylinder automatic with ac and hard top/doors sahara model. we paid 4k for it.

my 87 hard top/doors 6 cylinder laredo with automatic trans and ac was about 3500. i traded it for an 87 xj cherokee, is why i say about as that is what i had in the cherokee at swap time.

Look for the basics like leaks, loose wheel bearings, ball joints, u-joints. I had a compression check done on mine before I bought it, which was fine. My mechanic did find that the front outer axle u-joints were loose (where the axle shafts connect to the hubs) and the used car lot replaced them for free labor. I bought the joints, labor is the expensive part of that deal. If that's your price range then you are most likely going to end up with a 4-banger, no many 6's under $6k unless they're rusted and beat to death. If it seems to have been well cared for, I wouldn't worry about the miles. The 4-bangers are good for 200k+.

The economy will begin to improve shortly, when it looks more and more likely that the Kenyan Interloper will be sent packing.

thanks,

Yes, Nov 2012 can't get here soon enough!

where are you located? that sounds like a good price, even for a 4 cylinder. is it an automatic 4 cylinder will be the huge limiting question. if its an automatic, i would be inclined to continue looking.

if look for long enough, you will find 6 cylinders in that price range. my wife had a 93 6 cylinder automatic with ac and hard top/doors sahara model. we paid 4k for it.

my 87 hard top/doors 6 cylinder laredo with automatic trans and ac was about 3500. i traded it for an 87 xj cherokee, is why i say about as that is what i had in the cherokee at swap time.

I am in Houston, Texas. It is an automatic. what would be so bad with that? Inventory seems to be limited.

Just my opinion but you will not be happy with a 4cyl automatic. Had a 97 like that and it was terrible.

oh man, look other places then just houston. there are tons of jeeps in texas. check north of you, up towards livingston too. san antonio usually has some also

that 88 has the factory ac in it so it might work too. you never know. when i bought my wife's 93, the guy i bought it from didn;t know it had ac. he thought that was just a vent for heat. i took it home and put some freon in it and hte ac came on and blew out at something like 45 degrees. it was definitely cold enough for south texas because we drove that little stock sahara all over texas, from brownsville to rio frio to houston.

Just my opinion but you will not be happy with a 4cyl automatic. Had a 97 like that and it was terrible.
Our is a 97 4-banger auto and it's fine for cruising around in for my daughter. It is the least desirable model though, so they come cheap. :D
MPG is horrible for a 4-banger though. Upside, they run forever.

4 bangers are great in stock form. When you start adding larger tires and expect power you'll be disappointed unless you regear it. There's quite a bit of jeeps for sale in and around houston area so make sure you shop around and get the best out of your budget. I usually see jeeps for sale along the way to houston on FM362 walller and hempstead area as well. There were several wranglers for sale on the small car lots along side of 1488 on the woodlands area the last time i was there.

I am in Houston, Texas. It is an automatic. what would be so bad with that? Inventory seems to be limited.

Amity --- I live in Houston, by The Woodlands on the north side. I bought my jeep for 3500, but I didn't get in a rush to get it. Like others have said, I got tired of looking at all the junk in town, and ended up driving to Tyler to get it.

If you find one that you like, I'd be more than willing to put it in the air and look at it for you here at the dealership I work at. PM me if you have any questions and we can go from there.

Hope it helps !

thats a heck of a nice offer, syko.

Amity, we'll get you in a good jeep. you keep picking them out and posting them and we'll point out anything we see for you that could be a problem

I've never bought something without knowing how to fix it, but from talking to clients over the years, I know how frustrating it can be. Hell, my better half and I have been together for only a year, and she was quite scared with buying a used vehicle, much less one thats as old as my 87 is. 200,000 miles scared the hell out of her, but to a mechanic that's perfect !! I've only put $500 into it so far, and have fixed just about all of the issues that it had.

You gotta put a little TLC into it to make it yours !!

Thanks everyone for the advice and taking such an interest for me. I really appriciate that.

I didn't buy it. What the guy told me over the phone, and then in person with my brother there to check things out just didn't line up....plus the interior was like a garbage dump...I don't expect a great interior at this price....but at least better than this was.

As for knowing how to fix it myself...part of the plan is to definately learn. I slacked off in that department when I went from an old nissan 240 in college that had no breaks and no starter and having to push start it everywhere I went ( I used to park in the last spot on the curb at the top of a hill and then just drop the parking brake, roll, then dump the clutch....it was funny to see, but it worked) to driving brand new cars once I entered the workforce. I can change the oil, change a flat, and fairly good at identifying problems, but that is where it ends for now. My dad and brother are very mechanically inclined and have been rebuilding an 85 camero for the last 8 years..so they can help/teach.

Syco, that is a really nice offer. I will get in touch with you later.

Superj - yes, I am looking at everything in SE Texas...I've seen a few good prices in the Bryan/College Station area..where my dad lives...so I can send him to check it out....but he will probably tell me it is junk since he doesn't want me getting a jeep.

I friend of mine that just boughta 92 jeep is going to help me look, and he knows of one for sale near him he is going to look into...so we shall see.
I will be back to post more on the next one I am thinking about.
Thanks!

One thing that I did check into when I bought mine was the price of parts to repair it. Everyone that I talked to, and every part I checked the price on, showed that a 4 cyl would cost more to repair than a 6 cyl. I didnt want a carbed jeep, but ended up gettin my 87 w/ the 4.2. I knew what I would do with mine long term, and that played a big part in it. I've got no intentions of ever selling mine, and will have it at the deer lease in the end.

Try to find a 6 cylinder and you'll be happier with the power in the long term. I drove several 4 cyls, and was disappointed with them big time. Don't forget to check the craigslist ads for Deep East TX, but be careful because that's usually up by Gilmer, where all the mud is. If you don't let the Jeep bug get ahold of you too badly, you can find one that you want and will be a good jeep forever. Don't rush it, and don't settle !!

Thanks, Syco.

I agree, I am going to shoot for a 6cyl. Someone else told me to only go with the fuel injected and not carbed, and I don't care if it is manual or automatic...but automatics are nice in traffic. Since you are in the area let me know if come across a good deal.

To really get what I want I will probably have to wait a few months and get my budget up to about $6-7k, but I will get there!

Last edited:
Depends on if you're willing to put work into it or not. Guy wanted 5500 for mine, I found the maintenance issues, and why nobody else wanted to buy it. I fixed the oil leaks, a few vacuum leaks, and it's been my daily driver for about 5 months now and I spent 3500. Good ones are out there, just gotta watch for them and make sure you look it over very well.

yup. mine was originally listed for 4 or 5k but no bites because it was a carbed 87 model. i saw it and offered the guy a trade and he took it. i have no issues with a carb as i grew up having carb'd vehicles but i know a lot of younger people are scared of them (even though carbs have been around since the late 1800s). they are easy to work on, so i don't know why they are scary.

anyways, i will always go with an auto because of traffic and wanting to be able to drink something and eat on trips with out having to shift, which sounds like might be good for you too, Amity.

keep looking for the right one, it'll be way more worth it to you in the end

Back