Jeep woes

theotherjeep

My jeep quit running on me. Ive already came to the conclusion its not getting fuel. Because we put gas directly into intake and it attempted to start up. I checked the fuel lines from the tank to the motor and the nipple thats suppose to emit a stream of gas when you get ready to start up the vehicle if you take the cap off, does not emit fuel. Im thinking its my fuel pump. But im not exactly sure. What could be the problem? I have a full tank of gas. If it is the fuel pump, how do I replace it? Its a 2000 Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Last edited:

Fuel pump is in the tank. You can drain it with a hand siphon type of pump.

Fuel pump is in the tank. You can drain it with a hand siphon type of pump.
Then get yourself a chiltons repair manual,not Haynes,Chilton,Chilton. It's not really a hard job, an impact wrench will be a very handy tool to have when you go to do it.

In my experience the pumps tend to give you a little warning with hard starting when cold before they go out but anything is possible. I would check the fuse first (not sure if there is a relay off hand, have to check the book) then the wiring particularly the grounds. But in order to get to the wires on the top of the tank you have to drop the tank anyway.

First off, you said you took the cap off the fuel rail nipple, did you depress the little valve inside? It is like a tires shrader valve and needs to depressed to emit any fuel. Second when you turn the key to run position or the normal position after you started the jeep can you hear a whine from the fuel tank area? do this several times then try the fuel rail valve. The system (pump)will charge the fuel rail then turn off.

If you don't hear the pump whine for a few seconds then check the fuse for the fuel pump, This is behind the glove box. the fuel pump relay, is under your hood next to the battery in the engine compartment.

If both are ok then it is eight bolts/ 3 or so hours to replace the fuel pump. As pointed out you will need to drain the tank to get to the fuel pump. There are two fuel strainers that should be replaced as well to get the MFG warranty on the fuel pump.

My guess is that you just filled the tank recently for it to be full as you stated. 99% of the time the fuel pump dies just after filling the tank. And unfortunately they give little to no warning before they go. Older diaphragm types (mechanical fuel pump) used to weaken and give hard to starts in the winter time due to the rubber shrinking in the mechanical diaphragm. The drop in tank types are a offset vane type that just stop spinning inside when they die.

Back