85 cj wont start after hot

nitetrain5

Hi I'm new to the site and was wondering if any one could help me. I have 85 CJ7 with a 304 in her and she runs fine and starts right up when cold, but if she's hot and I try to start her she cranks really slow so I let her cool off for a little and turn the key a an she starts no prob......

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

nitetrain5 said:
Hi I'm new to the site and was wondering if any one could help me. I have 85 CJ7 with a 304 in her and she runs fine and starts right up when cold, but if she's hot and I try to start her she cranks really slow so I let her cool off for a little and turn the key a an she starts no prob......

Maybe a battery or connection? It makes sense cuz it cranks slow. Have it checked at autozone

Sounds like heat is getting to your starter. I'm not sure if that thing had a heat shield from the factory for the starter, but you could fab one up from some sheet metal fairly easily. You just need to try and keep the heat from the exhaust away from it. Or you could get the dynamat stuff, they have a kit for wrapping starters to protect them from the heat.

Oh maybe my header is right next to the starter. I'll try that thanks man!!

Back