Rubber or Steel ?

sillsmack

OK you turkeys,

I just ordered 5 new Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's 32X11.50X15's
They're shipping them out of the Goodyear regional warehouse in Reno.

The Question is :

What's the best valve stem ?
Rubber will bend if I hit a rock. It may also cut if the rock is sharp.
Steel won't cut, but it can break off.

If I was to simply carry spare's, how would I go about getting these big ol' tires off the rim so I could replave a damaged stem ?

I carry a racheting cargo strap to wrap around my tire to seat the bead for inflation if I pop a bead
(which I never ever have in 15 years...)

whattodowhattodowhattodo...............

image-missing.png
http://tires2.digiknow.com/goodyear/graphics/Tires/full/wrangmtr.jpg

[addsig]

The rubber ones have a solid brass stem, that goes most all the way to the rim. Usually when they fail, it is at the sandwhich where it passes through the rim. Had it happen a few times. I use the steal with the shortest stem I can get (just long enough to get the filler on there). I´ve bent a nozzle on the steel, but never have I had one fail (other than the valve inside).
Taking the tire off the rim can be a witch, sometimes jumping up and down on it will do, sometimes a hammer is needed (not advizable with aluminum rims). I´ve had a buddy drive over them a few times, which usually works. I´m sure they make a hand tool for this, I´ve got a bead breaker (portable) air powered, that I picked up surplus, never been used.[addsig]

i would use metal. i work for goodyear and in all truck applications for strength and pressure that is whats recommended. you may be able to use a metal stem that would be on a dual wheel set up. they are bent at different angles for access. good luck awesome choice on the rubber. im not all goodyear ra ra ra but the MTR is one heck of a tire.[addsig]

Wow I had never given this much thought in the past. Have never had a reason to do so either. Lucky I guess. Tug[addsig]

How do you change this out on the trail?
I guess your refering to the valve stem. I have always kept a couple of steel and a couple of rubber rolling around in the bottom of my tool box, along with a plug kit, glue and an air hose with quick disconnects on both ends.
Getting the tire off the rim, is usually a pain, the best luck I´ve had is with a short piece of 2X4 and a big hammer. The metal valves are easy to install, they have a nut and rubber gasket, just stick them in there and tighten the nut. The rubber ones are a little harder, you smear the big end liberally with saliva, stick it through the hole, put a cap on (preferably metal) and pull like heck with a pair of pliers. Unless your fortunate enough to have an installation tool with you. Removing the rubber stem, is best done by cutting it at the rim.
If your lucky enough to have a compressor with you, refilling can be done by seating the tire bead, either with a ratchet strap or by carefully bouncing the tire while rotation to get the bead to stick on both sides at once (requires luck and talent).
If you have to rely on an over inflated spare and/or an old propane bottle full of air (like me) things can get really disappointing in a hurry, when all the air is gone and the bead still hasn´t popped (seated).
I also carry a set of tire spoons with me and some other odds and ends, when Jeeping through some third world countries. I´ve returned from a few trips, with no two tires being the same size or tread. Two words that still bring back unpleasant memories are caltorp and Croatia.

edited by: MudderChuck, Mar 29, 2003 - 08:43 PM[addsig]

Mudder,

I have that kind of luck; so will now be carrying that list you mentioned. I plan on rigging an air compressor. Are there any inexpensive one's you can recommend?

blue
[addsig]

Back