Diesel Swap

70worm

Has anyone here done a 6.2 diesel swap before? I might do one but I'm just wondering if I can hook up to the original jeep trans.

Here's the whole story if anyone wants to know why I'm thinking about doing this. I have a 77 cj5 with a blown amc360. $2200 to rebuild my self, $1850 for a rebuilt from autozone with 3year warr. I'm poor so that's alot of money for me. Then my grandpa gives me his old rv with a 6.2 diesel with 26,000 miles on it. So if I could put that diesel in the jeep for $500 - $800 it might be worth doing.

It will be more than that unless you are a great fabricator. The adaptor would prob be 700 or more if avail. Plus mounts. Fuel system mods. Not to mention its considerably heavier. You would be dissapointed with the 6.2 for power but they are very great on fuel. My last daily driver was a 87 Chevy with 6.2. Gutless but got 27 mpgs. But had to change injection pumps every year lol.

I haven't done it, but I have put lots of engines that don't belong into vehicles. It can certainly be done if you have the time. You will need more than just the engine obviously, you will need the fuel pump and all the engine control systems. But since you have the original vehicle you can get all that stuff. I say go for it. It shouldn't take more than a month.
:)

Re: Diesel

If it were me I'd sell the motorhome and buy a used engine or jeep that was rusty but ran. I'm not much on the diesels myself. Parts are just too darn high unless it's in something that's making ya money. I've seen alota rough but running CJ's for sale for around $500 that maybe didn't have a title or frame issues. You could sell the rest in parts and make some cash back. There are other options as to where you get the engine from.

Re: Diesel

I have done a LOT of diesel engine swaps you will not be able to do that swap for $500-800 even with a free engine. The best solution I see for you is the Autozone rebuild.

Not sure about cj5 but we just finished swapping motors and drive train on cj7 with yj's 4.0 direct port. Well unless you're sure that nothing will change in your driveline and transmission you might be able to do the swap if done by you (meaning no labor charges) otherwise you're looking at over 2K worth of expenses. Kind of hard to justify unless you just building for the sake of building it. If anything, I'd sell the rv, buy a parts jeep and swap it with either 2.5I or 4.0I of the last years of YJs

A few guys up here have been us ring a 4cyl Mercedes turbo in yj's, I would think that 6.2 would be way to heavy for your cj, I would go with the autozone engine.

It will be more than that unless you are a great fabricator. The adaptor would prob be 700 or more if avail. Plus mounts. Fuel system mods. Not to mention its considerably heavier. You would be dissapointed with the 6.2 for power but they are very great on fuel. My last daily driver was a 87 Chevy with 6.2. Gutless but got 27 mpgs. But had to change injection pumps every year lol.

I just sold my 82 Chevy 3/4 ton which I bought new. That 6.2 is a dog even with a Banks turbo. and I replaced it with a new 6.5 turbo diesel that was a dog also. I never got close to 27 mpg with either motor. I would never put a 6.2 in a jeep. Just my opinion.

92 YJ Sahara 4.0
08 JKUR
12 JKR

Re: Diesel 2.5 ltr Swap

Please help. I own a 2002 2.5 ltr, 8 valve jeep cherokee CRD and would like to swap it with a 2.5, 2004 16 valve Engine. Would this be a glove fit or i should anticipate problems.

Richard

I would look for a parts jeep or used engine. I got a 304 for 150.00 once and it lasted 8yrs. The 258 6cyl or any of AMC v8's will bolt right in to your existing drivetrain. the 258 will require changing one motor mount.(I think its the drivers side.)

Unfortunately I do not have any experience with the Jeep CRD engines so I can't give any good advice.

Back