front differential leak???

indiemo

Hey all. I've been noticing a little grabbing when I turn the wheel on my TJ when I'm in 2wd. Same type of feeling you get when you're in 4wd and you turn the wheel sharp. Kind of that jerky, bounce, only not as severe. So today I was looking underneath and noticed an oil trail running from the back of my diff where the front driveshaft goes in. Could these 2 things be related? What could be causing this leak?

I sure hope it's nothing serious. Winter has taken it's toll on my baby. Every day for the last week, I've found something else wrong with the thing. So much for the mods I was going to do this summer. I'm going to end up spending all my cash on repairs! [addsig]

Make sure the transfer case is shifted completely out of 4wd and the transfer case linkage is properly adjusted.

The pinion seal is not too hard to replace, and it's unknown if it's related.[addsig]

Just had a garage replace both the front and rear pinion seals. Turns out they were both leaking. Seems odd that they both went at the same time. Could this be an indication of something bigger being wrong or is it just one of those things that goes bad?[addsig]

well... if you just had the seals changed AND its still leaking out of there... you might have a bad pinion bearing[addsig]

Seems odd that they both went at the same time. Could this be an indication of something bigger being wrong or is it just one of those things that goes bad?

Have you driven through any deep water? Filling the axle with water will make the gearoil/water mix come out any possible way, often a seal.[addsig]

Haven't driven through any water since I've had it. Can't guarantee that the previous owner didn't though. The shop didn't mention anything about water being in the fluid either. Of course I don't think they drained them, they probably just topped them off. Maybe I'll change the diff fluid this weekend just in case.[addsig]

Back