Vibration?

TeddESP

Hello all, I have gone months without problems and yesterday I developed one which I don't know anything about. For starters I'm not too mechanically inclined but here goes. I was coming back from work and all was fine until I got about a mile away from my house and I started feeling a vibration. It started off barely noticeable and within that mile got pretty bad... it almost felt like driving with tracks. I'm not sure where to look or where to start but any suggestions would be great. Has this ever happened to anyone?

see if one of your rims dropped a balance weight. or take it and have a tire shop check for you.

If your front tires are out of balance the front end will start to hop or shake, commonly referred to as “Death Wobble”, but it usually will be at a certain speed and then may or may not go away as your speed rises. Death Wobble may stem from steering components being warn too but if it is just a vibration and not Death Wobble it could be several other things, u-joints, bearings, etc. and that could be anywhere from the front to the back. I would crawl under your jeep and have a look checking for the obvious signs of worn components such as oil leaks from axle or pinion seals, and bad u-joints, (drive line & front hub) etc.; also at the front check for play in the steering system.

I don't think it would be a balance weight, I have 35's so I don't think weights would help. :p How would I tell if I have bad U joints or other failing components that would cause a vibration? Would it be obvious if something wasn't in good condition? I would definitely like to find and fix the problem ASAP so I don't have to drive my car too long. Thanks in advance.

How would I tell if I have bad U joints or other failing components that would cause a vibration? Would it be obvious if something wasn't in good condition?

Block your wheels and put the rig in nuetral. Get under it and shake the driveshafts on both ends of both front and rear driveshafts. Try shaking it where the slip joints are. If somethings worn it will move.

It is the u-joints in the rear drive shaft... my buddy looked at it and it needs both rear u-joints and a transmission mount. Apparently it all stemmed from the transmission mount and I could've caught it earlier if I wasn't a noob. =\

Edit: Also the seal in my rear differential has been leaking so I need to pull the plug and check if there's metal in the fluid... and if there is fluid. Keeping my fingers crossed that the rear end is still good.

Make sure the pinion bearing is still ok. Sometimes when the bearing goes it will wear the seal out.

Back