can i swap this motor?

Whynotcj7

Does anyone know if I can swap a Inline 6 L24 motor that came out of a 72 datsun 240z into my 84 cj7 ? Any advice ? My current motor doesn't let me go faster than 60mph.. this is the only picture I have on my phone of the motor currently...

Last edited:

Not without a lot of work. If your willing to put the work and money into it, Any motor will fit.

The simple answer is with time and money you can accomplish most any swap. I use to own a 1972 240Z. It was fast, topping out about 113 mph (not bad for the day) but the carbs were a pain. More importantly, a CJ is not a Z car nor should they be. My 1972 CJ5 with a 304 would go down the road at 80 mph in stock form but it was a dicey ride that could have turned deadly in the blink of an eye; I was young and still stupid. My point is if you want to drive a rocket, buy one but a CJ is not a rocket so don’t try to make it one.

Speed in a CJ to a large extent is related to gearing. What’s in your jeep? The info would be helpful.

I wonder if a 1972 engine would be allowed in a 1984 chassis as far as CA emission tests go. If in the odd chance it is, you would most likely need to regear the axles because the Datsun engine makes its power at a much different RPM range than the 258 did.

All good points.. thanks a lot. Guess ill have to keep searching for a more reasonable swap.

I will post pictures of my engine soon to see what I'm working with.

Last edited:
Jase-

I assume you have an I-4 motor at this time. Is everything else stock as far as the gearing in the axles, transmission, and tires size? Large heavy tires will suck the life out of an I-4 just to keep them turning.

The best and easiest swap would be an AMC I-6 or AMC V-8. As both motors were offered in a CJ at one time you can do this swap with limited to no adaptors and bone yard parts.

Back