Few Questions for Jeep experts!

eNdiT

Hi, I have a 99' TJ and recently the starter/starter solenoid died on me...at least i think it did. There was a constant buzzing noise (like a vacuum sound) and it kept going on and off even when i turned the engine off! Then as I drove back to my apartment, the thing went ZoooooOOP! and smoke came out. My guess is that it is dead. My Jeep will not start, and the lights wont turn on...no electronics work. I will have to replace the entire starter unfortunately...and on a 99' Jeep that is like $220!!! Ahhh
Any advice on this would be helpful. If I get the parts, is this a job i could do myself easily?

Question #2 : When I'm driving slowly or in first gear I hear a "knocking" noise that sounds like it coming from under the gas/brake/clutch pedals. I notice it more when I drive over bumps...its like a soft knocking noise...not sharp or hard at all. It sounds like someone is under my hood knocking on under my dashboard. Any clues as to what this is?

All help is greatly appreciated.

-Chris[addsig]

Question number 1: No clue. lol

Question number 2: Check for anything loose behind your wheel. I was hearing a soft bumping noise while...well soft bumpy riding so I decided to pull the panel out from under the steering wheel in my 98 TJ. Under here is a miriad of wires, harnesses and strange blinking boxes (I bought it used and the alarm (which I didn't know was there until it decided to go off at 3am) was stashed under there in a haphazard manner). Its real simple to pull apart, just like 5 or 6 screws which are easy to get at. Make sure everything is cool there, then worry. Beyond this possible fix I haven't a clue. :cool: [addsig]

#2 NO clue
# 1 Try you fusable link a bad starter should not kill your lights, The fused link is right near the battery usually green, If its gone you hve to figure out why try the altinator.[addsig]

if the fusible link is good check the power wire to the starter. if it grounds out you lose everything .[addsig]

Expert. This means to me! An ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure! hehehehehe Tug :-D [addsig]

Question #2 : When I'm driving slowly or in first gear I hear a "knocking" noise that sounds like it coming from under the gas/brake/clutch pedals. I notice it more when I drive over bumps...its like a soft knocking noise...not sharp or hard at all. It sounds like someone is under my hood knocking on under my dashboard. Any clues as to what this is?
-Chris

Check the transfer case linkage, if the bushing is worn where it connects to the body it will cause that sound. Check for looseness.[addsig]

Just call me RayOrescue! haha!

Question #1

Anyway the starter is easy...in fact jeeps are great because the starter is RIGHT there with no junk under it or anything. Another great thing about starters is the fact that most are composed of 2 separate pieces. The selinoid is the round thing on top of the motor and then the motor itself. Usually its just one of the 2 that goes bad (if you are lucky) so you can get away with just replace the selinoid or the motor depending on the one thats bad. If they are both bad then you will have to buy the whole shebang ($$$).

Removing it is a cinch. There are 2 bolts that hold it to the transmission bell housing. Depending on whether you have the 4 banger or the six cylinder engine these may be regular hex or may be inverse torx. If torx (arrrgh) you will need an E12 inverse torx socket to remove them. Most auto parts stores should carry them...and I think that you can get them at sears as well.

Once the 2 bolts are removed you can slide the starter out of the bellhousing. There are several wires attached to the start. Usually there is the battery cable and then another wire. These are attached to the starter via ring terminals on studs with nuts you can remove the take them off.

When you have the starter off at last take it to autozone or napa or somewhere like that where they can test it. They will determine if its just the selinoid, just the motor, or both that are bad. From autozone you can get a remanufactered complete starter with a lifetime warranty for like $100 exchange. If its just the selinoid you can probably get a replacement for like $30-$40. The motors vary in amount...not real sure what they would run for your 99.

Check your fusible links as well when your in the area.

Question #2

Uhhh....what those other guys said. (sorry I'm tired and lazy)[addsig]

also rule out the transmission mount. if the main is torn, the moveable mount will 'knock'

m

concur with the fuseable link[addsig]

Back